Northern Ontario Rookie Friendly Operators

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Frenchy2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Northern Ontario Rookie Friendly Operators

Post by Frenchy2 »

Going to start sending resumes out this fall and doing my road trip in the spring. Through Northern Ontario and maybe Manitoba, any further away will just have to get resumes sent out. I'm a fresh CPL, with a basic float endorsement. All 172 time except for the float endorsement was on a 180. Basically I want to know if you guys can give me clues as to who to visit, and where to avoid so I don't waste my time or theirs. I don't mind spending some time on the dock, I come from a farm background so I'm used to the work. Some pampered city kid, I certainly am not.
---------- ADS -----------

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Northern Ontario Rookie Friendly Operators

Post by jpilot77 »

Sandy Lake Seaplanes takes low timers.

esp803

Post by esp803 »

SLSS, Superior, Al Air, Weagamow Air all have and do take low timers.

Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duffman »

I wouldn't expect a shot at a floatplane with only 7 hours but the companies listed all have wheel planes and are a good starting point

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

Duffman wrote:I wouldn't expect a shot at a floatplane with only 7 hours but the companies listed all have wheel planes and are a good starting point
I know a number of people with a basic float endorsement that got their start. I even know some people that received their float endorsement from the company. So, Frenchy, fear not with that basic float endorsement as you will be sitting next to someone for the first bit, regardless of 7hrs or the elusive "50" that everyone speaks of. Many companies have, and will continue to hire fresh CPL's with a basic endorsement.

Best of luck!

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Adam Oke wrote:
Duffman wrote:I wouldn't expect a shot at a floatplane with only 7 hours but the companies listed all have wheel planes and are a good starting point
I know a number of people with a basic float endorsement that got their start. I even know some people that received their float endorsement from the company. So, Frenchy, fear not with that basic float endorsement as you will be sitting next to someone for the first bit, regardless of 7hrs or the elusive "50" that everyone speaks of. Many companies have, and will continue to hire fresh CPL's with a basic endorsement.

Best of luck!
The 50hrs is made up by float training schools to sell more training. Once you start on the dock, you'll go swamping with company pilots and learn lots from them. The 50hrs is just a money grab.

If you'd actually like training on remote lakes and low level navigation, Sudbury Aviation had (hopefully still has) a short "bush course" where you practice navigating on a map at low level. They take you to some pretty $h!tty lakes and leave it up to you to decide. It's nowhere near 50hrs, they don't preach any "insurance requirement" crap. It's straight, no bs legitimate training. I did it several years ago and I thought it was worth while. Took me a little under 10hrs to do the course.

disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with Sudbury Aviation. I just did their training, and thought it worth while.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

The 50hrs is made up by float training schools to sell more training. Once you start on the dock, you'll go swamping with company pilots and learn lots from them. The 50hrs is just a money grab.

Fifty hour courses given by someone qualified to teach float plane flying is well worth getting.

For sure there are fifty hour courses that are a waste of money.
Sudbury Aviation had (hopefully still has) a short "bush course" where you practice navigating on a map at low level.
Why would you pay float plane dual rates to practice map reading?

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

For sure. Do low level map reading solo in a 152 for a third of the price or three times the amount of hours. Just keep a GPS handy in case you really get lost. :wink:

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

iflyforpie wrote:For sure. Do low level map reading solo in a 152 for a third of the price or three times the amount of hours. Just keep a GPS handy in case you really get lost.
Never had one when I started...leave it behind...guarantee you'll focus more on map reading, or learn how to 'get found' yourself.

I would train new (com bush) pilots by:

Taking them out with two maps of different scale, low level, telling them clouds were 100' above our cruise altitude,...having them close their eyes, I would do a turn one direction, then the other, have them open eyes and take control. I'd then tell them I want to go 'here' then 'here' - give me a heading and eta. The second 'destination' was on the map of different scale.

hotdog1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hotdog1 »

If you don't mind the dock be able to fix boat motors, run a chainsaw and fix whatever needs fixing.
Ask operators what they use for camp checks- some use planes that are privately registered so lots of low timers dont know about them.
If one place turns you down, ask if they know anyone looking for a low timer-they all know eachother and may recommend someone to you and that may save time searching

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”