FLoat rating ?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

headin north
Rank 1
Rank 1

FLoat rating ?

Post by headin north »

Should I have at least the 7 hr float rating before I do my road trip, or will it not matter, cause Im not gettin the 50 hr thing anytime soon, thanks
---------- ADS -----------

185_guy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by 185_guy »

Here's a better idea than a road trip..... save up some money and buy a cheap taylorcraft, luscombe, or J-3 on floats, fly yourself around for a summer untill you have a couple hundred hours then sell the plane. Then finding a job will be a lot easier. You'll still probally have to do company training on type, but at least you'll have los of float time for the insurance.
I got 2 guys working here that will not beable to fly our 185 because the insurance wants 250 on floats, no if's, and's or but's about it. I'm about to blow a nut over this nonsense...after a guy recives 50 hours of company training on type, he's ready!!! No one can afford to give 250 hours away, and no one can afford to buy that time.

The value of the plane shouldent go down, so in reselling it, you should get almost, if not all of yur money back, espically if you can find another pilot in your shoes to buy it from you....maybe someone should start a business like this somehow.......

good luck, dont get to discouraged, as tough as it is......

PARADISE
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PARADISE »

As outlined by 185 guy thats my plan. I plan on putting the plane at Fort Langley(B.C), burn off 300 hrs and sell.

It would be nice to go in with another guy, any interested pm paradise.

The man of tomorrow is forged by his battles today
wha happen
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by wha happen »

only problem being is that insurance is going to require a certain number of hours on it before they will insure it. crooks.

Its the way she goes boys, its the way she goes.

Lets sacrifice him to the crops.
PARADISE
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PARADISE »

Unfortunely true. To get insurance the number seems to be 50 hours which I think is not unreasonable. I'm building time right now and looking at planes when 50 hours comes... I'll buy, and hopefully satisfy the insurance requirement.

The man of tomorrow is forged by his battles today
headin north
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by headin north »

Is there anybody in southern ontario that would be interested in setting up a fractional ownership deal, Ive called the insurance company and 50 hrs is ideal but still considered low by insurance comps. But the insurance would be quoted from the person with the least amount of time on the a/c. I was told around 8-9k per year on say a 150 on floats, again these are just general #'s. PM me if anyone is interested or has any questions, thanks, It seems like big $'s up fron but in the end it will be cheaper and you will fast track your career instead of slavin away on a dock for a year or two hoping on good fortune.

water wings
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by water wings »

buy yourself a horseshoe and shove as far up as it will go. that is 90% of how you get your first float job. i removed my shoe last fall. i shall save it for later. You may also use the shoe to beat in the temples of the insurance agents. no need to wash it in between uses.

good luck on the float stuff, it's worth the discomfort of a horseshoe.

Babel Fish
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Babel Fish »

water wings wrote:You may also use the shoe to beat in the temples of the insurance agents. no need to wash it in between uses.
GROSS!!! After it's touched an insurance agent?!?! No way I'm shoving that shoe anywhere until it's been sterilized!! :shock:

I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
- Fred Allen
monkeyspankmasterflex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by monkeyspankmasterflex »

Buy yourself a horseshoe and shove as far up as it will go.
F'ing brilliant WW. That statement answers and is more truthful than 99% of the questions/posts on this site.

goldeneagle_53
Rank 2
Rank 2

Before you head North

Post by goldeneagle_53 »

You did not explain this enough but it soundslike to want to get a float job up here in the North. You need a rating and at the very least 100 hours on floats and type if you are planning getting a job - and even thn you are are in line with the other guys. Float flying is seasonal and most companies don't have to train pilots that apply for those jobs because too many already have hundreds of hours of commercial float experience. It is very very hard to get into this field as a novice float pilot simply because of the amount of resume's hitting town by January / February. It is by far easier to get a job as a wheel pilot and then leaving the North for three months during the freeze-up season, head south to the States and do 100 hours on a cheap little plane, then come back and see if your boss gives you a chance for the 3 months of float season. I do not really understand why most people shy away from buying a small float plane for this purpose. It can be so much more rewarding and cheaper than renting and not really being able to go after the rating anyways. Some older planes are available for less than what most people have to pay for SUV's these days. Flying is NOT a luxury but a way of life - so adjust the priorities accordingly if you like to fly.

"What we have here is a failure to communicate!"

Cool Hand Luke (P. Newman)

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”