Performance upgrade kits C-180

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Scandinaviansky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Performance upgrade kits C-180

Post by Scandinaviansky »

We have a 1970 C-180 on straight floats with a standart O-470 engine. What options do we have to increase the performance a bit?

Vortex Generators: Are there different types? Where can we order these?

I heard about a double pipe exhaust system which gives another 20hp or so. Does anybody knows where to get these?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks, Daniel
---------- ADS -----------

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Performance upgrade kits C-180

Post by rigpiggy »

What kind of radios do you have, look at putting in an aspen system, take out the old boat anchors, go electric strip out all the pneumatic plumbing etc..... Art wing extensions, sportsman stol, look at the blckmac prop, or just buy a 185

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Scandinaviansky wrote:We have a 1970 C-180 on straight floats with a standart O-470 engine. What options do we have to increase the performance a bit?

I heard about a double pipe exhaust system which gives another 20hp or so. Does anybody knows where to get these?

Thanks, Daniel
Wing extensions are probably the best bang for you buck.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:
Scandinaviansky wrote:We have a 1970 C-180 on straight floats with a standart O-470 engine. What options do we have to increase the performance a bit?

Thanks, Daniel
Wing extensions are probably the best bang for you buck.
Agreed!

VG's are a "nice to have" but I didn't feel much of a change in aileron response at lower speeds with them. Are you looking at the Art wing extension kit?

Remember that all these "kit's" are fairy expensive and you won't recoup your initial investments on it...

All the best,
TPC (a 1957 C-180 owner)

Last edited by TeePeeCreeper on Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
182-SS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 182-SS »

Increase the performance "a bit", A fairly broad statement.
From the VG question it would sound like you would like increased slow speed performance but the exhaust option would be the other end.
Its really all about how much you want to spend.
P-ponk engine upgrade is probably your best bang for the buck for engine upgrades. that is if you are close to your TBO.

The wing extensions and sportsman are probably your other best bang for your buck.

I would go for the power myself, but that's me. My grandfather always told me way back during training. "flying slow can kill you awfully fast"

You had best be careful if your splitting up the STOL and only going with the L.

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

get it light, then vgs, stol, wing-x, and hp are pretty much listed in order of cost. But if you cannot budget for the hp go for wing-x but when you have the wings open get bigger tanks if you are flying in the north. Mine only has 27.5 USG / side and not always quite enough to get to where there is fuel. Mine has a relatively low time engine and going up into that 260hp class will be my next move as I very much want to remain carburated.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”