Paying for Air Ambulance?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

currysonic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Paying for Air Ambulance?

Post by currysonic »

Hi everyone!

I was just wondering how air ambulance ops generate funds in BC or other provinces. Does it get covered in our health plans :D ?

For example; I broke my legs out hiking and had to get a heli medivac. Would I be hit with the full medivac bill after? If not then who pays the medicav operator?

Thanks everyone! I'm kinda embarrassed to not know the full details of our healthcare system haha :oops:
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by currysonic on Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
crazy horse
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Paying for Air Ambulance?

Post by crazy horse »

I think it is considered just like an ambulance and charged as such. I saw a poster in an ER waiting room a few years ago stating as much.

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

Be wary -- if you are out of you home province it will likely not pay -- my daughter need an ambulance in Vancouver with NWT health coverage and it cost 550 bucks -- another person I know was in Cam Bay and it cost her 10 grand because she had coverage from another province -- the only thing is to insist on extended health through your employer and to go out of country -- you don't even want to go there -- it will keep you awake at nights -- workmans comp is a joke and a pain -- excuse the pun -- and won't give you the coverage you need --

For the price of a phone call -- make damn sure medevacs are covered -- it ain't cheap ---

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
Tips Up
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tips Up »

Most people are surprised to find a bill in the mail from the local ambulance service and thought that their provincial basic medical coverage took care of that- it doesn't. And can be pricey just for a ground ambulance. You would be wise to get third party medical coverage for that back country trip. :)

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

When flying medivacs we only accepted MasterCard and Amex, it was a pain cause sometimes the heart attack guy only had a Visa and so we had to leave him there at the airport

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

On BC for a BC resident you would pay the ambulance user fee of $55 unless it is a hospital to hospital transfer and I think it is free. That is for BC Ambulance provided service. If your out hiking and say North Shore Search and Rescue has to rescue you I think if you where being negligent for example in a closed area you may be charged. If you are not a BC resident you will be charged full retail what ever it may be. Be it land or air ambulance.

As for funds they come out of the Emegencay and Health Sefvices of BC budget.

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

we charge 12/mile for a KA here

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”