How safe is this?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: How safe is this?

Post by Shiny Side Up »

That's also why they made the bouncing bomb rotate the way it does, to make it skip better.
---------- ADS -----------

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Skyhunter »

[googlevid][/googlevid]

So... Devils advocate here.

First, outside of my work... where since it is the companies train set, and they pay me, I fly it how they want it, I am a pretty hi risk tolerant individual. I am a trained aviation accident investigator, and ex military flight safety officer. Would I do this? In a heartbeat, been wanting to for ages. I also drive to0 fast on my motorcycle ( by some standards, not mine), ride horses too hard for most, and take my truck truly off road ( have the dents to prove it.)

Would I expect my insurance to pay for a broken axle off roading? No. So if I had a little homebuilt I could afford to write off, would I give this a go. You bet I would. But I would also fly under a bridge (on a wheel airplane rockie, not even talking about taking off on floats) if I knew it would be considered legal and thought it was within my skill level. I am an acknowledged adrenaline junkie. I would temper that personal risk factor though with the safety of others. ie.. my plane, no pax, and in a place where the chances of injuring a third party were pretty low. I would do it because I thought it would be fun, knowing the risk. You don't have to like that. Don't care. Just like I don't care if you don't like I drive my my motorcycle well over the speed limit. I accept the risk I might get a ticket. and that if something goes to hell in a handbasket it could be bad for me. I am willing to accept that risk.

When I drive the company's aiplane though.... I play by their acceptable level of risk, because it is their airplane, their pax, their insurance, and their bottom line. So I fly it how they want it.

trampbike
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by trampbike »

Skyhunter wrote: Just like I don't care if you don't like I drive my my motorcycle well over the speed limit. I accept the risk I might get a ticket.
While I agree with everything else you wrote, I have to say that this makes no sense.
You involve other people around you when doing that, and they most likely are not ok with sharing some of the risk with you.

Think ahead or fall behind!
B-rad
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by B-rad »

I guess thats too bad for them then eh. Part of sharing the world with others is sharing some of that risk of the choices they make. Accidents happen regardless and not all speeding is equal. Someone who is an adrenaline junkie and proficient in many machines and understands risk management is a lot less of a risk then a new driver speeding. There are times when it is safe to speed and there are times when it's not so let's not pretend that just because he likes to ride their motorbike fast that they are dangerous and a threat to others around them.

My ambition is to live forever - so far, so good!
niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

B-rad wrote:I guess thats too bad for them then eh. Part of sharing the world with others is sharing some of that risk of the choices they make. Accidents happen regardless and not all speeding is equal. Someone who is an adrenaline junkie and proficient in many machines and understands risk management is a lot less of a risk then a new driver speeding. There are times when it is safe to speed and there are times when it's not so let's not pretend that just because he likes to ride their motorbike fast that they are dangerous and a threat to others around them.
They very well could be, and that is why we have laws. We have speed limits that are enforced to help keep everyone on the road safe.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
trampbike
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by trampbike »

B-rad wrote: let's not pretend that just because he likes to ride their motorbike fast that they are dangerous and a threat to others around them.
Most people think they are much better and safer than they are.
When they end up killing someone else, they are the first to be quite surprised (if they are not dead themselves).

Anyway, the part I really had a problem with was this:
Skyhunter wrote:I accept the risk I might get a ticket.
You can't deny there's a lot more involved than getting a ticket...

Think ahead or fall behind!
B-rad
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by B-rad »

niss wrote:We have speed limits that are enforced to help keep everyone on the road safe.
Looks like movement is going in the way of increasing speed limits.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/07/03 ... ten-safer/

My ambition is to live forever - so far, so good!

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”