Good AME's vs Popular AME's

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Good AME's vs Popular AME's

Post by Heliian »

Some aircraft will have a log specifically for AD's or they can be a section in the af or eng log. Tech records ARE important and can really save you time and money and even fetch more on a sale.
---------- ADS -----------

torquey401
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by torquey401 »

Torquey, like any maintenance work, compliance with an AD is the responsibility of the owner.
True.
However, once assigned, it is the AME's responsibility to conduct the work in accordance with the manufacturer's service manual or industry acceptable standards.
True. But you did leave out that the instructions in an AD are to be followed explicitly. Work arounds following "industry acceptable standards" don't cut it. There are "Alternative Means Of Compliance" (AMOC) for some AD's, but I have only seen one of these (ie: Cessna single instrument light AD AMOC to use MaxDim).http://www.maxpulsemaxdim.com/latestdocs.htm
The owner is not responsible for making sure the work is done correctly: that's the AME's job.
This is where I get heart burn about this story. The owner didn't like the fact that the "good AME" wanted to do what is explicitly required in the text of the AD. So the owner wanted to take the plane (that he is responsible for) to the "popular AME" who will perform a work around not mentioned in the AD and (I assume) certify that the AD requirements were completed, when in fact they were not. But the owner doesn't know any better and probably doesn't care - he gets the signature in the book and it is cheap and fast, so it must have been done correctly, right? Buyer beware!

The "good AME" is fussy and and the "popular AME" is the greatest thing since sliced bread. That is until a wing falls off.

I am hoping that this owner has had his eyes opened.

PS I found a neat little story that covers very similar ground. http://www.happylanding.com/articles/7% ... nswers.htm

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

It's often difficult to determine what exactly makes for a good AME though. Like so many things in life, paying more doesn't automatically equate with getting more. And, although it may be a surprise to some, getting a "thorough" list of work done doesn't always contain work that actually needed to be done. THAT'S why it is important for an owner to know as much as possible about not only what maintenance items are required but also what is involved with each item. The more you know, the less likely you are to be over-sold or under-sold on your maintenance.

I must admit though, that picture of the crack scares the bejeebers out of me. And it's a good cautionary example of why you shouldn't be too quick to jump in a fly an old aircraft you haven't taken the time to check out quite thoroughly.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain

Return to “Maintenance”