Possible for Station Attendant transfer to Apprentice AME ?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

icelxin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Possible for Station Attendant transfer to Apprentice AME ?

#1 Post by icelxin » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:03 pm

Hi, I am a recently graduate AME student from BCIT. I have searched for an apprentice position for 2 months. However, there isn't many company have the AME apprentice position opening. So I start to try applying the ramp attendant/station attendant position at Air Canada and a small local airlines.

I am wondering is there possible to be transferred to an AME apprentice position from the station attendant position in Air Canada? My ultimate goal is to get my AME licence in the next few years.

Thanks for all the suggestions here.
---------- ADS -----------

conehead
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Possible for Station Attendant transfer to Apprentice AM

#2 Post by conehead » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:05 am

I know that at Air Canada, this is absolutely possible. I know of several who have done this. Get yourself hired as a Station Attendant, then file a transfer request for Maintenance. As per the Collective Agreement, your transfer will be granted the next time Maintenance needs to hire someone.

Don't limit your employment search to AC though... There's lots of Aviation going on in BC. And the rest of Canada.

avyonx
Rank 3
Rank 3

#3 Post by avyonx » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:23 pm

It is absolutely possible as Conehead mentioned. Lots of apprentice positions opened in the Windsor and Toronto area if you can make the move. Keep your options open to at least get some experience.

Cheers,

icelxin
Rank 0
Rank 0

#4 Post by icelxin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:41 pm

Because I've heard many people said that Air Canada moved their maintenance department to the other country to reduce the cost. So I was worrying they would not hire the apprentice positions any more.

avyonx
Rank 3
Rank 3

#5 Post by avyonx » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:10 am

Heavy maintenance was dissolved and moved to several MRO's within Canada and other countries. The Line Maintenance environment still exists and through attrition are hiring again. This would be the best time to get your foot in the door. Keep in mind, when you put your transfer through, the opening for Maintenance may not be YVR and if you want to get into maintenance you will have to move. Once established and gain some seniority, you have the opportunity to move to another station if you have bumping rights.

Ltmultilogic
Rank 0
Rank 0

#6 Post by Ltmultilogic » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:51 am

avyonx wrote:It is absolutely possible as Conehead mentioned. Lots of apprentice positions opened in the Windsor and Toronto area if you can make the move. Keep your options open to at least get some experience.

Cheers,
Agree, Its possible but depends on locations. I would say AB, QC and Ontario they seem to have more opportunities.

blackbird_007
Rank 1
Rank 1

#7 Post by blackbird_007 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:02 am

I have a question. Let's say the OP becomes an AME apprentice for line maintenance, will he able to get enough experience and logbook sign-offs to get his AME license in the future if he is only doing line maintenance for a major airline in Canada? It seems like he will never do a major structural check without leaving his line maintenance job.

conehead
Rank 6
Rank 6

#8 Post by conehead » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:25 pm

blackbird_007 wrote:I have a question. Let's say the OP becomes an AME apprentice for line maintenance, will he able to get enough experience and logbook sign-offs to get his AME license in the future if he is only doing line maintenance for a major airline in Canada? .
Yes. I, and many others, have done it.

blackbird_007
Rank 1
Rank 1

#9 Post by blackbird_007 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:36 pm

Thanks conehead.

That is great to hear. :o

conehead
Rank 6
Rank 6

#10 Post by conehead » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:38 am

Air Canada in Toronto is very short on AME's, with lots of upcoming retirements. I can't say officially, but I'm pretty sure there is about to be a "hiring wave". Any experienced AMEs who are interested, or qualified others who wish to transfer into Maintenance should apply now.

Just sayin'.... :)

Return to “Maintenance”