slap in the face

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

tincanflyer
Rank 5
Rank 5

slap in the face

Post by tincanflyer »

---------- ADS -----------

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: slap in the face

Post by iflyforpie »

I would imagine 60K will go a lot further there now than it did a year ago...... at least until the Communists start raising taxes. :lol:

Its all relative IMHO. A guy making 60K in Edmonton is probably going to do way better than someone making $100K in Vancouver or TO.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Not really, this looks like a basic PRM job at a really small operator. The obviously don't have their own AMO so your duties would be to track maintenance requirements and do the odd bit of elementary work. Don't be confused with a DOM job. You don't even have to be an AME to be a PRM, usually a pilot would be tasked with this kind of stuff. 60gs for watching a spreadsheet and changing lightbulbs would be sufficient.

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

If you dont like it, Dont apply...

Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
— Ernest K. Gann, 'Fate is the Hunter.
Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Troubleshot »

Strega wrote:If you dont like it, Dont apply...
Well I'm pretty certain he is not gonna apply, but nice advice Forrest...

The point of the post is to talk about the salary, in case you haven't noticed this is an internet forum where posters post things to talk about. It is obvious he is not seeking advice about applying.

so keep your smug crap outta here, nobody here cares what you think.

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

Troubleshot wrote:

The point of the post is to talk about the salary, in case you haven't noticed this is an internet forum where posters post things to talk about. It is obvious he is not seeking advice about applying.

My point is that if people did not continue to work for peanuts,, then your industry would not pay peanuts....

Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
— Ernest K. Gann, 'Fate is the Hunter.
chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

Strega wrote:
Troubleshot wrote:

My point is that if people did not continue to work for peanuts,, then your industry would not pay peanuts....

Dont know if that was the original intent of of his reply, but I agree with it.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Strega wrote:My point is that if people did not continue to work for peanuts,, then your industry would not pay peanuts....
How is that peanuts? As I said before, one of your pilots could do the job for way less, this sounds like a nice gig.

Meecka
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Meecka »

Read the ad " All applicants need to ensure possession of a Canadian AME license".
They are looking for an AME to do the PRM duties as well. To me $60k is a bit on the low side.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

exactly. the want an ame to moonlight as a dom, or vice versa, most likely with a electronic leash to be available always.
Seems to be the new trend, AME's that will wear two hats to make some genuis's low baller business plan come to life.
60g a year however, is the shitiest offer I've seen, and if you believe that all you're going to be doing is changing light bulbs, you're beyond naive.

212wrench
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 212wrench »

Then don't do it. Why is that so hard? I know people who have taken PRM jobs just to get into the door. One was just voted top 20 under 40 in Canadian aviation. No longer PRM, but it was the start. So just because it won't work for you don't paint everyone else in your colors.

black hole
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by black hole »

So if this guy doesn't get any bites: then he'll go to "TFW" status. HELLO

BH

Meecka
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Meecka »

What I find interesting about this ad is that they paid me $50 an hour, paid my lodging (which wasn't too bad) and my return flight from Ottawa to Edmonton for a 2 week contract, also rented me a car for the weekend. If they were willing to do that for an out of province contractor, why are they not willing to pay a bit more for an AME that's going to also have to wear the PRM hat. Doesn't make sense.

LousyFisherman
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LousyFisherman »

Because he wants the best contractor he can get. You pay for that. Every contract I fulfil (non-aviation) I make more than my stupervisor/damager. That does not mean I am a better manager than them.

But maybe, just maybe, for a management position he/she wants a good attitude. Someone who is willing to go the extra mile and is not driven by the almighty dollar. What if there is a 20% raise in the first year for the right fit? But of course, there are so many entry level management positions in aviation that candidates can name their own price :roll:

He can eliminate most of the contributors on this thread. Saves him/her time and money.evaluating candidates.

Just my $0.00

LF

Women and planes have alot in common
Both are expensive, loud, and noisy.
However, when handled properly both respond well and provide great pleasure
Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Troubleshot »

LousyFisherman wrote:Because he wants the best contractor he can get. You pay for that. Every contract I fulfil (non-aviation) I make more than my stupervisor/damager. That does not mean I am a better manager than them.

But maybe, just maybe, for a management position he/she wants a good attitude. Someone who is willing to go the extra mile and is not driven by the almighty dollar. What if there is a 20% raise in the first year for the right fit? But of course, there are so many entry level management positions in aviation that candidates can name their own price :roll:

He can eliminate most of the contributors on this thread. Saves him/her time and money.evaluating candidates.

Just my $0.00

LF
20% raise in the first year? good lord, I hope you never meet a "wallet inspector" on the street...this is 60K/yr people, the top end of McDonalds restaurant manager is 55K/Yr and it takes 3 years to get to that number. But hey, if you wanna prove you are the "right guy" for the job then by all means whore yourself out....If that is all you think you are worth to be a PRM then you deserve what you get in life.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

-It's not a DOM job.

-It's a 702 so therefore AN AMO is required to sign off maintenance.

-Don't like the pay then don't apply, You're obviously way too experienced.

Last edited by Heliian on Mon May 25, 2015 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

PRM/AME

Geographic Air Survey Ltd.
#100, 10616 - 178 Street
Edmonton, Alberta
T5S 2E3
Canada
Telephone: 780-451-1406

Please respond with resume and cover letter to email address: sygun@gmx.com

Aircraft Types: Aero Commander 690A and Aero Commander 680F

Job Description: We are a small 702 operator and require a PRM together with very light AME duties. All applicants need to ensure possession of a Canadian AME license and the ability to successfully undergo a Transport Canada interview. Preference will be given to those who possess previous Garrett engine experience. All other training will be provided.

Salary: $60,000.00
Closing Date: June 3, 2015
I think a breakdown of "very light" AME duties is needed here, even the aviation horndogs are split in opinion as to what this really is. Have serious doubts that all this is spreadsheet watching and DI's.
But maybe, just maybe, for a management position he/she wants a good attitude. Someone who is willing to go the extra mile and is not driven by the almighty dollar. What if there is a 20% raise in the first year for the right fit? But of course, there are so many entry level management positions in aviation that candidates can name their own price
This guy sounds like he might be in the know and is not describing an Excel watching position, just a dual duty one that needs a person to disregard a respectable income to "prove" themselves.

Yeah, pretty sure most experienced guys know whats going on.

tincanflyer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tincanflyer »

Heliian wrote:A PRM is responsible for tracking maintenance requirements and that's it. If you can interpret a spreadsheet and navigate cawis you'll be fine. IT IS NOT A DOM TYPE POSITION and doesn't warrant 120gs a yr. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T APPLY, GO WORK AT FUCKING MACDONALDS.

Macdonalds?!?!? Never heard of them......I've heard of McDonalds.......never mind PRM......I'd expect more for an experienced AME........but an experienced and a spreadsheet reader......still a slap in the face and a black eye for the industry.

Schimunga
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Schimunga »

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Troubleshot »

Schimunga wrote:Now this is a slap in the face!!<br abp="776"><br abp="777">http://www.wowjobs.ca/JobDetails.aspx?k=20614579<br abp="778">http://www.wowjobs.ca/JobDetails.aspx?k=20588979<br abp="779">http://www.workopolis.com/jobsearch/job ... agment=<br abp="780"><br abp="781">Remember, we are all striving to make as much as these guys.
These are the qualifications required for those jobs:

-2nd or 3rd year apprentice - this job pays $25/HR...as much as an Encore AME!!

-Plumber Trade Certification, 2nd Period Apprentice, 3rd Period Apprentice, 4th Period Apprentice, Plumber Red Seal Endorsement - This job pays $18-38/HR...still pays more than 90% of AME jobs, from the appretii right to the licenced guys.

-Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses, etc.): Not required Education: Some high school
-
$28.50/Hr....so you don't need a licence to make $60G's year?? just your grade 10??... ya don't say!!

Return to “Maintenance”