Weekend Annuals.

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Weekend Annuals.

#176 Post by Strega » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:03 pm

So you are saying that no university courses are offered online? Just Aircraft maintenance programs?
ummm,, no? Dont know where I wrote anything to this effect...
---------- ADS -----------
Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
— Ernest K. Gann, 'Fate is the Hunter.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

#177 Post by NeverBlue » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:04 pm

Unless something has changed...you can take the ICS course, do a 4 year apprenticeship, write and pass all the technical exams at TC, get an AME M license.

Angusnofangus
Rank 1
Rank 1

#178 Post by Angusnofangus » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:57 pm

Strega wrote:
As Troubleshot said, this is a basic course and there is no credit given for it. So no, you cannot become an AME without stepping into a classroom.
Wanna bet?
Prove it.

BTW, Why do you have such a hate-on for AME's?

Top_Gun
Rank 1
Rank 1

#179 Post by Top_Gun » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:07 pm

Angusnofangus wrote:
Strega wrote:
As Troubleshot said, this is a basic course and there is no credit given for it. So no, you cannot become an AME without stepping into a classroom.
Wanna bet?
Prove it.

BTW, Why do you have such a hate-on for AME's?

Just got my M1 last year. Did ICS, 48 months experience in the hangar, logbook filled out, 3 technical exams and CARs exam. Never stepped inside a classroom.

PilotDAR
Rank 10
Rank 10

#180 Post by PilotDAR » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:30 pm

When I pondered finishing my training to become an AME, TC suggested the ICS course to me, as correspondence only. I considered it, but decided that I did not have that great a need to have an AME license. I have many very worthy AMEs as colleagues, who are very nice to work with - Why would I compete with them!

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

#181 Post by Troubleshot » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:47 pm

Strega wrote:
So you are saying that no university courses are offered online? Just Aircraft maintenance programs?
Fair enough, then what was your intent by stating you can become an AME by not stepping into a classroom? Because nobody besides you brought it up? It was just another slight against the AME trade and everyone here recognizes what you are implying.

So I'm also implying that you can also get a university degree online... or as you put "without stepping in a class room"...I know several examples of this also.

You can keep trying to cut us down in here but you aren't gonna baffle us with bullshit and
this passive aggressive nonsense and not expect a response...in fact, I'm betting this is exactly what you are hoping for, I cannot for the life of me think of another reason.

I have no issue with being called a tradesmen, but you just couldn't help yourself with the remark regarding the " without stepping into a classroom" jab, could you?

I thought someone as bright as yourself being a professional Engineer would understand the basics of social interaction but apparently it is lost on you and your great mind

NEXT!!

Angusnofangus
Rank 1
Rank 1

#182 Post by Angusnofangus » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:29 pm

[quote

Just got my M1 last year. Did ICS, 48 months experience in the hangar, logbook filled out, 3 technical exams and CARs exam. Never stepped inside a classroom.[/quote]

It seems that I was wrong, at least about an M licence. However, to my knowledge, you can no longer get an S licence without a TC approved course.

Angusnofangus
Rank 1
Rank 1

#183 Post by Angusnofangus » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:33 pm

Troubleshot wrote:
Strega wrote:
Fair enough, then what was your intent by stating you can become an AME by not stepping into a classroom? Because nobody besides you brought it up? It was just another slight against the AME trade and everyone here recognizes what you are implying.

So I'm also implying that you can also get a university degree online... or as you put "without stepping in a class room"...I know several examples of this also.

You can keep trying to cut us down in here but you aren't gonna baffle us with bullshit and
this passive aggressive nonsense and not expect a response...in fact, I'm betting this is exactly what you are hoping for, I cannot for the life of me think of another reason.

I have no issue with being called a tradesmen, but you just couldn't help yourself with the remark regarding the " without stepping into a classroom" jab, could you?

I thought someone as bright as yourself being a professional Engineer would understand the basics of social interaction but apparently it is lost on you and your great mind

NEXT!!
Well put, TS. I couldn't agree more.

PilotDAR
Rank 10
Rank 10

#184 Post by PilotDAR » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:40 am

On the other hand AMEs... Don't overlook the fact that you cannot, and will, not earn your deserved privilege unless you also work outside the classroom. Speaking from a position of qualified observation, the "real word, dirty hands, figured it out in the cold dark", experience is invaluable in making a well rounded person at the job. That experience will get you from "A" to "Job done well" much more directly. I sure know some P Eng's who would have benefited from working "on the floor" first, to design a better widget!

AirFrame
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

#185 Post by AirFrame » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:04 am

CID wrote:9. An EIT is not an apprentice P.Eng or an apprentice DAR. Professional development is not the same as cutting your teeth on-the-job.
Nonsense. How does an EIT develop professionally if it's not "on the job"? EIT is really a misnomer anyway... They are Engineers the moment they graduate from University. They only become Professional Engineers once they have finished four years of work following graduation, supervised by other P.Eng's. You can call that a work study, practicum, apprenticeship, whatever you like, but it's the same thing.

The Engineering associations (and some of the "old stock" P.Eng's) don't like the term "apprentice" because they think the trades are "beneath" them and don't want them confused with their high-falutin' status. That's all.

(and I say this as a P.Eng. myself)

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

#186 Post by Strega » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:58 am

Actually no,, Im not baffling anyone with BS... I merely use facts. Angus is the one say "you cant bla bla bla" ...and if I go back, there are others on this thread saying "AMEs" make STC and do all the engineering in their "head"....

Good day...
Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

#187 Post by CID » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:08 am

Airframe, I guess the dictionary is nonsense. I guess the labour board is nonsense. I guess all the trade unions and professional organizations are nonsense. I'm not splitting hairs by stating that an EIT is not an "apprentice" and isn't even mandatory in every province. As pointed out, the term is a bit misleading. It implies that you are training to be an engineer when in reality, you are an engineer that hasn't been accredited yet and may need to meet a work experience requirement before you are.

An apprentice by definition is someone who works for person with trade skills in order to learn the trade. No "professional" (see the labour codes for the definition of that) enters an apprenticeship program. They come out of school with the knowledge and in some cases the experience to hit the ground running. An EIT who gathers accreditation input from supervisors is not the same as an electrician (for example) who can start out without an education and simply enter an apprenticeship program to learn the trade and eventually become certified.

A lawyer or doctor or P. Eng etc, are provided authorization to "practice" their profession once they meet the requirements of their associated regulatory group. That goes for ANY professional entering a different regulatory region regardless of experience.

"Apprentice" and "EIT" are apples and orangutans. (Much different than apples and oranges) If you want something closer to the same thing between trades and professions, and EIT is similar to a journeyman.

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

#188 Post by Troubleshot » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:50 am

Strega wrote:
Actually no,, Im not baffling anyone with BS... I merely use facts. Angus is the one say "you cant bla bla bla" ...and if I go back, there are others on this thread saying "AMEs" make STC and do all the engineering in their "head"....

Good day...

Don't change the subject, I am not talking about what others have said in this thread. I am talking about what YOU said about AME's and classrooms. It was a jab and you won't convince anyone here otherwise.

I am not disagreeing with what you are saying about PEngs vs AME's, what I am disagreeing with is your condescending snips. Most have been removed by the Mods but you still manage to squeak the odd one through so I am drawing attention to it.

Maybe I can discredit you enough for AME's here not to even have a discussion with you, it is obvious to me and many others that you have zero respect for AME's. Like I said before, if we are beneath you by all means leave.

I am all ready for your reply: "I have respect for AME's, I know good AME's...blah blah blah" but you know and I know that's not really how you feel. By all means provide links from this site showing any respect towards AME's and I'll apologize. Or do you want me to post links from here showing the exact opposite?..because that can easily be done...well except the ones the mods deleted.

Angusnofangus
Rank 1
Rank 1

#189 Post by Angusnofangus » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:23 am

I think that it is time for Strega to go troll pilots for awhile and leave us AMEs (and PE's) in peace.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Part of the "me, me, me" crowd, and loving every second of it.

#190 Post by photofly » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:27 am

Shame; this thread is like Seinfeld.
Control the horizon, control the airplane

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

#191 Post by Strega » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:06 pm

Angusnofangus wrote:

It seems it is not me that is posting inaccurate information in this thread.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 7
Rank 7

#192 Post by YYZSaabGuy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:10 pm

photofly wrote:Shame; this thread is like Seinfeld.
For sheer entertainment value and unexpected tangents, Seinfeld has nothing on this thread.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

#193 Post by NeverBlue » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:33 pm

there are others on this thread saying "AMEs" make STC and do all the engineering in their "head"....

hah!...not even close to what I said

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

#194 Post by GyvAir » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:33 pm

"Ladies and gentlmen... I implore you"

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

#195 Post by GyvAir » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:34 pm

YYZSaabGuy wrote:
For sheer entertainment value and unexpected tangents, Seinfeld has nothing on this thread.
At least some of Seinfeld's tangents were cleverly written and witty.

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

#196 Post by Troubleshot » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:14 pm

Strega wrote:
Angusnofangus wrote:

It seems it is not me that is posting inaccurate information in this thread.
You are just trying to throw a smoke screen. We all still think you have an attitude problem and you can take your smug nonsense to a different forum, we have zero use for you here. I don't care what others have posted. The above poster was wrong...who cares? He admitted so.
Last edited by Troubleshot on Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angusnofangus
Rank 1
Rank 1

#197 Post by Angusnofangus » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:46 pm

You are just trying to throw a smoke screen. We all still think you have an attitude problem and you can take your smug nonsense to a different forum, we have zero use for you here. I don't care what others have posted. The above poster was wrong...who cares? He admitted so. You however are still a disrespectful punk. Beat it troll.[/quote]

I'll second that.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

#198 Post by NeverBlue » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:09 am

The above poster was wrong...who cares? He admitted so. You however are still a disrespectful punk. Beat it troll.
Hmmmm....that's ok......

...poetry...

...BUT that's not...............

PilotDAR
Rank 10
Rank 10

#199 Post by PilotDAR » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:04 am

Brevity is indeed the soul of wit!
Although I now see that passages can be so brief that they convey no meaningful thought!

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

#200 Post by Troubleshot » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:06 am

Ok I took out the last bit, maybe was over the line but the point remains the same. Strega can tell us all about how the AME trade is different than being a Professional Engineer, I really have no problem with that and most of his points are correct.

We can however do without the smug, condescending jabs at the trade. Adds nothing, and is just inserted for a reaction.

For review, this is Strega's first two post into the discussion:

"Actually you mean "aircraft maintenance engineers"

Please do not refer to yourself as simply an "engineer" If you want to be an Engineer, go to school and be an EIT to become one.... Same thing your are complaining about..

Thx

S"
[/i]"Hornblower,

Thanks for your comments, it it clear you're intelligent, unfortunately as you mention, there are many AMEs that do simply refer to themselves as "engineers" .. pisses me off..

Sorry for the thread drift"

I'll step out of this one now as I have made my point.

Return to “Maintenance”