Maintenance Planning/Tracking Software

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Fox 3
Rank 4
Rank 4

Maintenance Planning/Tracking Software

Post by Fox 3 »

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on a good maintenance planning/tracking program. We currently use WinAir but the cost has jumped quite a bit and it is very limited for what we need. I would love to hear what programs you or your company use and any comments, good or bad, on it.

Thanks in advance,

~FOX~
---------- ADS -----------

Hang Time Is The Best Time!
PITA
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PITA »

Get yourself or someone at your office on a X-cell training course and write your own. It isn't rocket science if you know how to use a spread sheet.

Thats all we have used for years. It takes awhile to imput the data and formulas but once its built and up and running there are no on-going costs.

Very easy, simple and follows the KISS formula.

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

We currently use Microsoft Access. Just need to set up the databases, but once that's done, same idea as Excel

Fox 3
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Fox 3 »

Interesting, it's not what I was expecting for a response, but that's ok. So with these systems are you able to track inventory as well or just maintenance tracking? WinAir does inventory, maintenance, purchasing, etc. We use to have a basic MS-DOS system where we needed to produce paper (manual) P.O's. We like having a paperless system, especially in this day and age with the amount of paper needed already.

Anyways thank you for the input :)

~FOX~

Techopsgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

maintenace planning

Post by Techopsgirl »

I'm in the reocrds & planning department of a cargo company and we use a system called DASH but its probably a little too pricey. I think the new web-based version will run about 1 mil.
At a previous company we had a program called "Columbia", it's 50 grand US (I think) and is good for planning, inventory, time sheets and pretty much anything else you need. CAMP runs a online program as well, but I haven't used that in a long time and have not tried the vew version.
There are a ton of programs out there, just name your price, but like the other posters said, you can set up something in a excel or access program, it's just the set up that takes time.

impress
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by impress »

Ive used and seen http://www.aircraftmaintenancesystems.com software. It is clean and easy to use. They have a wide range of systems and prices. It is also Canadian and is set up to be user friendy to Canadian operations and regulations. check it out.

Northof60
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Northof60 »

Av base works

Northof60
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Northof60 »

Thats if you can get a hold of and older program

Fox 3
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Fox 3 »

I've looked into the aircraftmaintenancesystems program, and it's one of our top 3 right now. AvBase is the parent company to WinAir, as far as I know they are one in the same. And the systems your referring to Techopsgirl are definitly above what we are after.

Thank you all for your input/reply I appreciate it.

~FOX~

Bullet Remington
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Bullet Remington »

Fox:
Go wih the one that best suits your company's profile, the compter capabilities of the folks who will be the prime users and of course, that fits your budget.

I've used Sceptre, Silicon Wings or as well called it, Silly C#$! Wings, Dash System which was refered to as Trash Systems. I have also used Excel Spreadsheets and MS Access. Garbage! Too much time to input!!

Personally, the Excell programs are only as good as the person who set it up, AND the training provided to the person using it. Frankly, I never had much time for those "home made systems". I have never had the time nor the inclination to sit there for eons and input the info.

Personally, I have an affinity for the Winair system. Having said that, I would never buy it, they have gone beyond rediculous with the pricing.

Dash system is garbage, and is best used with a dedicated reords department with folks trained on the system and only the trained folksd doing the input! Way too expensive for your type and size of operation AND a bunch of stuff on there you will never have use for. Inventory tracking and location is a royal pain in the Pahtootie.

My recommendation based upon the type of aircraft and the size and type of operations/maintenace you folks are doing, would be to give the aircraftmaintenancesystems a good hard look. Having said that, I'm not susre what the price is.

Have you looked at the ATP Maintenance Director program yet? I believe that was the name of it. You may wish to check that out as well. You can see that at http://www.atp.com

Cheers

BR

Techopsgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

DASH

Post by Techopsgirl »

You are definetly right about DASH systems (aka Trash systems). It does take a bit of training to know how to use all the features and is mainly for a place with a dedicated records/planning department. I have been trying to train some of our maintenance people how to use this for the past 2 years and they still do not know how to use it.

Fox 3
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Fox 3 »

Hi Bullet,
I did have a look at the ATP program, they don't have a very good inventory system. I think AMS is going to be the winner.

Thanks for the input everyone!

~FOX~

architexture
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Maintenance Planning/Tracking Software

Post by architexture »

Any update here? what are you using these days?

This post is pretty old.

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

I have used Corridor in the past, and didn't mind it. We had an I.T. Guy that wrote some scripts for it to make it more maintenance friendly. Also used a program called OpenAviation. I liked that one as well,for the fact it is developed by a guy in aviation, his product support was excellent, he really strives to make it a better program and takes input from users. I think he is in Quebec. I have no idea on cost. Tried winair, wasn't a fan. Current company I'm at uses excel, and Google drive for Web sharing when remote.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
architexture
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by architexture »

What is your biggest complaint about the current system you're using?

Maintenance planning and tracking software seems to be expensive and not very user friendly.

sballman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sballman »

Hi architexture (and others!),

I saw the post about planning software and thought I'd register and introduce myself. Hopefully this is ok since it's on-topic!

My name is Shane Ballman (LinkedIn), and I built lots of the maintenance software tools for AirTran (and then Southwest) for over a decade - pretty useful stuff like real-time status dashboards of the day's work packages, push notifications to phones for work changes, email alerts for AOG events, etc. Stuff to help AMTs get their jobs done without having to fight the computer.

Everyone has the same regulatory hurdles to meet, but not everyone has deep pockets like the majors to throw money at the problem. After talking with lots of folks, I started my own maintenance software company last year because the market really isn't innovating... you're currently stuck using something manual/labor intensive, something outdated, or something that costs tens or sometimes hundreds of thousand just to get started. Insanity.

And even then, you still have to log in and run reports for things. For instance, when a plane goes AOG you still have to head to a desk, fire up a PC and look for history, see what the last shop work was, etc. We all have these computers (aka smartphones) we carry around everywhere now - checking facebook, online banking, buying stocks... why isn't that AOG info available on your phone as soon as the plane is grounded?

I love our corner of the industry and I want to make it better. Case in point, my customers have my personal mobile number and can call me at 2am if there's a problem that needs fixing.

If you're in the market for better software, I'd love to chat with you... and if you ultimately don't think the vision I'm building is the right fit for you, I'm happy to point you to some of my competition who I think also have their heads screwed on straight.

Warm regards,

Shane Ballman
Founder, SynapseMX

Return to “Maintenance”