Electrickery

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Electrickery

Post by NeverBlue »

Correct. Changing the location of a conductor can result in unintended EMI affects.
Not usually in a small aircraft but EMI is dealt with before and after so it's really no issue.
Feed lines are not shielded and pick up EMI all the time in all aircraft.
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

571 Appendix A:
(9) affect a communication system required by the approved type design?
(10) affect instruments, or indicators that are installed as part of a system required by the approved type design?
I have found twice during certification testing that the installation of a conductor not associated with avionics or aircraft systems, none the less, introduced an EMI affect, which resulted in the GPS being unable to receive the satellite signals, and going off line. There is a specific certification EMI test (specified by TC) which I conduct on such wiring installations, to assure that compliance remains shown.

If a change found to be otherwise "minor" is tested effectively, and does not introduce EMI to the aircraft instruments or indicators (10) and comms (9), it continues to be "minor" in accordance with (9) and (10) above. If it introduces EMI, it just became "major".

One EMI test I witnessed, had all crew members yanking the headsets off our heads the instant the subject system was turned on. Instant fail! The system was later operationally tweaked, and my subsequent test demonstrated zero EMI, so was a pass. The client's challenge was that that system could only be tested in flight, in very specific geographical regions, so flight testing was hard to arrange.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

There is a specific certification EMI test (specified by TC) which I conduct on such wiring installations, to assure that compliance remains shown.
explain...

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

explain...
I'll presume a "please..." associated with that somewhere - this is what I do for a living....

From my test plan:
5.2 Test Frequencies
When testing VHF Comms as a Source, the ten test frequencies shown below will be selected when assessing the GPS as the Victim.

121.150, 121.175, 121.185, 121.190, 121.200, 131.250, 130.285, 131,250, 131.275, 131.290 131.300 MHz.

The lack of interference from VHF radios will be demonstrated on the completed installation by tuning each VHF transmitter to the frequencies listed below and transmitting for a period of 35 seconds, or the longest uninterrupted transmission possible for that transmitter, while observing the signal status of each satellite being received. Degradation of individually received satellite signals below a point where navigation is no longer possible is not acceptable
This test has failed on two aircraft I have tested, and wiring location changes were required to obtain a pass. Neither of the aircraft had a comm nor GPS change conducted, it was non aircraft system wiring which had been changed, and caused the undesired affect.

This test is required of DAR's by TC, when approving design changes involving wiring installations. This results from a significant failure of the same type in a Transport category aircraft they were test witnessing. I'm sure that having a GPS drop off to nothing, while keying the mic during an instrument approach would be an unsafe condition. I agree with TC requiring this test, as I have personally witnessed the two failures, so I know it is a possible hazard, for which a post installation check is required.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

12th and 13th harmonics of some of those frequencies shit all over the GPS L1 frequency.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

...just as I thought...nothing to do with an EMC test of the aircraft...which I know TC does not do

Your talking about a specific unit...the GPS...which is why there are special filters you install at the RF fitting at the back of the GPS radio tray during an installation.

SOMETHING ONLY KNOWN THROUGH APPROVED DATA SUCH AS AN STC!

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

EMC test of the aircraft...which I know TC does not do
In this regard, what you "know" is incorrect. TC occasionally witnesses EMC/EMI tests of whole aircraft, and may choose to involve themselves as a witness to any certification test. It was a TC witnessed EMI test which revealed the Comm frequency vs GPS issue, as the witnessing TC Engineer told me himself about the event. More commonly, DAR's witness these whole aircraft EMC/EMI tests for major mod approval, as delegated by TC, prior to issuing an STC for the mod. Such a test is a requirement under 2X.1301, and will be specified for nearly any electrical mod to be approved by STC.

For a mod which is otherwise "minor" if EMI is detected during a whole aircraft test (which would be the expectation of a proper installation job), either it is quietly fixed, and passes a retest, or it just became a major mod, and approved data required.
Your talking about a specific unit...the GPS...which is why there are special filters you install at the RF fitting at the back of the GPS radio tray during an installation.
No, I know what I'm talking about. The EMC/EMI test will be specific to the whole aircraft as modified ('cause that what 571 Appendix A applies to), not any particular piece of installed equipment. The client might elect to resolve EMI non compliance with specific "fixes", which is fine if such a solution is acceptable for that unit. As such, it could be included in the final approved installation, with data acceptable to the signatory.

As I said Neverblue, perhaps you should work in your world, and I'll work in mine. I don't install avionics in any aircraft I do not own. I do issue STC's (270 since 2001). I've done my fair share of EMI tests for all those approvals....

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

OMG Neverblue. Please...stop posting. So many of your statements are so incorrect that I fear others with little or no experience will think something you state is true.

There is no "silver" bullet when it comes to applying the CARs and associated standards. (I still don't think you know the difference) Electrical load capacity and distribution is first established by the OEM. The guidance in 571 is merely trying to prevent people from making changes to that fundamental framework without engineering guidance. If you have a bus that has a predetermined capacity and you want to add a load that doesn't exceed that capacity, it's likely not a major mod unless you are connecting to an essential bus. And the number to be wary of is 5 minutes, not 30.

Furthermore, EMC is CERTAINLY a concern if you choose to change the physical path of a generator cable. Generators, even DC generators are very noisy electrically and absolutely have the potential to interfere with other systems if the proper separation and/or shielding isn't provided. You also run the risk of threatening compliance with a few other standards regarding the routing of large cables. (See 25.1353)
...just as I thought...nothing to do with an EMC test of the aircraft...which I know TC does not do
I don't know what you mean by "does not do". If it means they don't care about any potential EMC from a mod, you are absolutely wrong. This is the point in my post when I realize that if I try to pick apart everything you stated, I'd be here all day.

Again....please don't comment on electrical systems or certification. You obviously have no clue.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

Ok now we're way off...

IS IT A MAJOR MOD?

Of course it's an issue CID!!! The conductor is not shielded! And you nailed it right on the head. The OEM established the original load...if that is deviated from the data must be approved.

TC does not do EMI tests...sure you call it that but that's not what it is.

Sending the aircraft away to somewhere like California to have it EMC tested for a MAJOR MOD is absolutely done and yes TC goes there.

If you've been there DAR during one of those tests...then you might know me.

But if you think what you're doing with a comm and a gps is an EMC test?? Well............ with only VHF frequencies?

And trust me...TC isn't paying the bill CID.

TC doesn't do them...TC makes you do them...makes you pay...big money...then when there is no problem they go home and say oh well...

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

TC isn't paying the bill CID.
Why would anyone think that TC (= the taxpayer = you and I) pay a bill for witnessing a test for a private mod approval applicant? They don't pay the bill, they bill! Cost recovery!
TC makes you do them...makes you pay...big money
TC does not make you do anything. TC will accept a test plan you might propose to demonstrate compliance for a mod approval you have requested. If you want TC to not make you do anything, get away from airplanes.

Similarly, TC does not make you pay. You offer to pay as someone is going to want to get paid for their role in a test being completed to TC/DAR witness satisfaction. If you don't want to do a test - don't, and TC or a DAR will not issue an approval!
..then when there is no problem they go home and say oh well...
You mean that there was no problem, the test was a pass, they witnessed that, found design compliance, and went home with that step completed, and your being closer to having the approval you applied for?! 'Sounds like a success to me!

It appears Neverblue, that you have an axe to grind with TC, DARs, and the Canadian approval process. Perhaps you've had a bad experience. So don't do it again! Go and serve burgers for a living... It is up to the "applicant" to provide me a test to witness, with a suitable test article (nearly always a flyable aircraft). I will arrive to witness a test as promised. If they are not organized, that's not really my fault. Once I traveled to Bogata, Colombia to witness an EMI test in a helicopter. I was taken to the airport, test cards in hand to go for a flight. When I walk in the hangar, there's the helicopter, with the transmission in pieces beside it on the floor. Well, I though to myself, I guess I won't be flying in this today. I spent the afternoon assisting as I could with the transmission reassembly, and returned to the hotel. It was five days before the helicopter was flight able, So I was a tourist for four days.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, an EMI test I witnessed last summer was a massive fail. I had to witness a retest. The problem was, that by that point, the aircraft was moved. It was $7700 in airfare, and four days travel via two continents, for me to fly in the aircraft for an hour, and witness a then successful test. I was put off by the airfare cost, but my client was delighted with the economizing I had done. They had asked a quot to have me charter flown to the aircraft for the test, and that quote was $22,000!
Sending the aircraft away to somewhere like California to have it EMC tested for a MAJOR MOD is absolutely done
I'm sure it is, and based upon the nature of the aircraft and the mod, it could be very worthwhile. If a client wants to (or is required by TC to) send their aircraft to California for a very comprehensive EMI test, then they should do that. I don't witness tests like that, I just witness in accordance with a TC accepted test plan I prepare for the subject aircraft - I try to keep things reasonable for my clients!

Ooops. sorry Neverblue, too much writing again! 'Just being thorough, don't worry, you're not getting a bill for this!

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

But if you think what you're doing with a comm and a gps is an EMC test?? Well............ with only VHF frequencies?
Absolute proof that you don't have a clue. The standards are clear. Even if you are using AC 43.13. (Check 11-107) With respect to VHF COM and GPS, you are truly ignorant. VHF COM interference on GPS is well understood and MUST be explored when certifying them in aircraft.

Refer to AC 20-138D. It's the relevant guidance for installation of GNSS systems.
14-10. Interference - Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC).

a. The equipment must not be the source of objectionable conducted or radiated interference, or be adversely affected by conducted or radiated interference from other equipment or systems installed in the aircraft.

b. Proper sensor equipment grounding is essential to ensuring EMC.

c. When possible, do not install positioning/navigation sensor(s) near a VHF radio.
d. The following paragraphs identify potential sources of interference and means of mitigating that interference:

(1) VHF communications harmonic, spurious, and local oscillator harmonics can cause interference. VHF interference can be mitigated by:

(a) Installing filters at the output of the VHF transmitter to prevent antenna-to-antenna interference. Such filters should have an insertion loss of 2 dB or less, or the installed VHF transceiver performance will have to be re-evaluated.

(b) Installing the positioning/navigation equipment as far away as feasible from any VHF transmitter equipment (to prevent case-to-case interference).

(c) Replacing the VHF equipment.

(2) An emergency locator transmitter (ELT) can re-radiate DME or VHF signals that can interfere with GNSS. Notch filters on the ELT antenna cable or replacing the ELT can eliminate this problem.

(3) DME has been known to cause interference to GNSS. Replacing the DME transceiver can eliminate the problem for some equipment. 111 3/28/14 AC 20-138D

(4) Direction finding equipment may cause interference. Moving the direction finding antenna to the belly of the aircraft has been found to eliminate this problem.
23-1. Ground Test - GPS, GPS/SBAS, and GPS/GBAS.
21-1.1. Interference.

a. The lack of interference from VHF radios should be demonstrated on the completed
GNSS installation by tuning each VHF transmitter to the frequencies listed below and
transmitting for a period of 30 seconds while observing the signal status of each satellite being
received. Degradation of individually received satellite signals below a point where navigation
is no longer possible is not acceptable and will require that additional isolation measures be
taken. Re-evaluation of installed VHF transceiver performance is not necessary if the filter
insertion loss is 2 dB or less.

b. Evaluate the following VHF frequencies (25 kHz channels):
121.150 MHz 121.175 MHz
121.200 MHz 131.250 MHz
131.275 MHz 131.300 MHz

c. For VHF radios with 8.33 kHz channel spacing, evaluate the following additional
VHF frequencies:
121.185 MHz 121.190 MHz
130.285 MHz 131.290 MHz

d. For installations on rotorcraft, ensure that the rotor blades do not interfere with the
received signals. This problem has been experienced in some rotorcraft and varies with the
rotation rate.
And....if you're interested incoming out of this fog of ignorance you're in, read this:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/o ... 02-123.htm

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

you aren't reading what I'm writing.

I've moved the alternator feed line on a certified Canadian registered Cessna 150.....

Is it a major mod or not??????????

VHF COM interference on GPS is well understood and MUST be explored when certifying them in aircraft.
....been putting GPS in A/C since 1989...all through their development...S/A...IFR approval...all that... I know what the issues are with EMI and GPS...so what
...we have to do the required post installation performance test according to the STC...which includes yes...the VHF comm interference test...FM comm and SatCom too if installed.

Every current carrying conductor in an aircraft is susceptible to EMI...They are an antenna for EMI.
Every TSO'd box has been tested for EMI through the RTCA MOPS.
Avionics installation standard practices help prevent EMI interference (AC43.13, Boeing ATA 20, AirBus ATA 20, etc)

If you were to perform your VHF radio test/EMI test on the C150 above I've mentioned and it fails the test only after I've moved the feed-line...then the VHF radio or GPS installation is the problem...not the fact that I've moved the feed-line.

The feed-line is in a shielded box called the fuselage.

does Hoptwoit's GPS installation pass the EMI test?

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

Contradict yourself much?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

it fails the test only after I've moved the feed-line...then the VHF radio or GPS installation is the problem...not the fact that I've moved the feed-line.
This reminds me of the occasional "reasoning" I've heard at the scene of a car strikes utility pole/tree/parked car etc. collision. The presence of the fixed item was the cause, the driver was not at fault, he was just driving along when he hit it, 'cause it was in the way!

If you move something, you're responsible for any unintended outcome.

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

The feed-line is in a shielded box called the fuselage.
You mean that thing with all the windows? I guess that's why you can NEVER make a cell phone work when you're in a 150 with the doors closed right?

Regardless, Neverblue, you don't seem to have a grasp on what electrical interference is. EMI/RFI are two distinct things. EMC is the activity in determining "compatibility" between systems that have the potential to emit electro-magnetic interference and radio frequency interference. There is "front door" interference which seems to be the type that you are convinced is the only type and "back door" interference which involves waves and fields within the protected areas in the fuselage.

When you move a generator line I would be much more interested in "back door" interference which can be "conducted" or "radiated". More terms that I have a feeling you don't know about.

A cable that carries large currents like a generator cable will have a significant electromagnetic field around it. It will be a varying field so it has the potential to induce current into nearby wiring. Improper separation and/or shielding may result in audio noise, intermittent operation or complete failure of systems.
....been putting GPS in A/C since 1989..
Scary.....

ourkid2000
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ourkid2000 »

Why do you all continue to engage? You all know how it goes......

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Why do you all continue to engage?
:lol:

It's self serving, I consider it to be an element of my self study recurrent training, 'just keeps the mind working! Perhaps a few others who are keeping their heads down, are benefiting too!

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

A cable that carries large currents like a generator cable will have a significant electromagnetic field around it.
WTF!!???

A current carrying conductor has a "magnetic" field around it.

Not an electromagnetic field...which propogates...which is RFI...the SAME thing as EMI.

...and I don't know what I'm talking about?? :roll:

contradict science much CID????

Or maybe it's just self-serving.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

.....and all the DC current in the world through a conductor could not produce EMI which is RFI...a frequency....

...I know nothing though.....he he he he he

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

Oh well...that's it I guess...

Magnetic induction...which can only happen with AC...apparently is the same thing as EMI according to some here and when I question that it's all over...

I can't understand though how originally i was questioning a hand-held non-TSO'd GPS permanently installed onto the primary bus and it not having to be certified as a major mod...

...yet amazingly moving a single DC wire has all kinds of implications.......... :rolleyes:

ANY avionics technician with half a clue should know that running audio, signal or RF wires with power wires is a NO-NO.

...it says so in your famous AC43.13.....

Return to “Maintenance”