Annual Cost?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Annual Cost?

Post by photofly »

I'm curious though... why would you rather have the vendor fix any defects than do it yourself? The vendor has an interest in doing it as cheaply as possible, and you have an interest in doing it well.
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

It's done to spec, anything other does not meet spec and the sale is off.

As a half intelligent buyer I have my mechanic on site.

Discount to what my guy would charge to make it right, or have your guy do it to my guys standards, or pay my guy to do it, all the same to me

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I wonder if we're talking about the same class of airplane? having to pay your mechanic to drive two hours, hang around on site watching my mechanic replace, say, a failing vacuum pump on a Cessna single, and then drive two hours home - seems like a colossal waste of (your) money.

And, for instance, if I'm paying for the vacuum pump to be replaced and my mechanic has a used but serviceable one on the shelf he'll let me have for $50, well, in my book that's good enough for you. Alternatively, I'll give you $200 off the price, which is what installing the used pump would cost me. Wouldn't you rather put the $200 towards your guy buying and installing a new one?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

but I don't pay retail for anything.
Sad to hear, there must be disappointed store clerks, gas station attendants and waiters in your wake. Please don't dine at the restaurant my daughter manages, the wait staff there don't like to be shorted on the bills, and certainly appreciate the tips for which they work hard.

For myself, and my work in aviation, everyone pays what I quote for the work, which will be "retail" for all but one or two very big and repeat clients. I have been "tipped" many times, being compensated beyond what I had quoted or expected - as recently as three days ago, and it is those clients who get my services first next time.

Excepting the very rare occasions where a service provider and I agree that the service was not what was committed in the beginning, I enjoy the thought that the people I do business with are pleased with the outcome of our dealings, so they will be there for me next time - even if it is an intended one time purchase. I frequently tip for good service.

Aviation is a small community, and word gets around. I like to thing that the word which gets around about me is that I cheerfully pay fairly for services I agree to accept.....

Return to “Maintenance”