owner maintenance

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

revr
Rank 2
Rank 2

owner maintenance

Post by revr »

looking at a Stinson, wondering if anyone has ever brought a plane back from the owner maintenance class?
everyone knows the engine, prop and flight instruments have to be overhauled, aircraft inspected etc.
just wondering if anyone has actually done it.
not looking for people to chime in saying oh its so expensive, or OM A/C are not worth anything, ETC.
---------- ADS -----------

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: owner maintenance

Post by AirFrame »

For $25KUS you could pick up a certified one. Importing it to Canada would be less hassle than getting an OM aircraft back into Certified status.

revr
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by revr »

again looking for someone with experience brining one back from OM only,
not looking for any advice on how to buy or difference in price etc.

Badfarmer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Badfarmer »

Not sure you will get a straight answer as the program was designed to NOT convert the aircraft back.
Lets look at why;
Modifying the data plates requires Minister approval,
Having an AME inspect ALL aspects of the aircraft; any history of modifications and parts installed against the type certificate,
Having TC inspectors come out and verify that MSI 26 (their guidance material) is completed - cannot use an MD-M,
Have the engine, prop and instruments re-certified to meets its type design.

Im thinking through that you can figure out the costs (which will be more than the cost of the aircraft).

The OM category was meant to be a one way street for recreational use only in Canada.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

just wondering if anyone has actually done it.
Not I. When I put one of my planes into OM, I accepted it as the one way street which Badfarmer states. I have no expectation of every reversing that.

I recall once collaborating with a colleague on bidding on a drug seized Navajo, with zero technical records. I investigated returning it from zero back to certified, possible, but not worth the effort considering the others available for purchase. By comparison, with OM you'd have to work up to get to zero certification. Not that OM is negative, I'm delighted to have a plane in, and might put in my other, it's just not a revolving door....

tellyourkidstogetarealjob
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tellyourkidstogetarealjob »

I have dealt with an aircraft that had falsified logbooks (years worth) and brought it back for commercial purposes.

Any competent, licensed, 'M' AME should be able to do this. There's no special magic involved.

It is, however, time consuming. Get your TC rep involved early.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

There's no special magic involved.
Well, a bit of magic would be required....

If your aircraft is registered as OM, the C of A will have an "X" on the aircraft serial number, which will match the "X" which was stamped into the aircraft data plate at the time of application. It will be magic to convince TC to reissue the C of A with a serial number with no "X" on it! And then, you'll have to unstamp the "X's" in the airframe, engine and propeller data plates. TC is very clear that OM is a one way street - don't enter if you're uncertain.

Badfarmer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Badfarmer »

PilotDAR wrote:
There's no special magic involved.
Well, a bit of magic would be required....

If your aircraft is registered as OM, the C of A will have an "X" on the aircraft serial number, which will match the "X" which was stamped into the aircraft data plate at the time of application. It will be magic to convince TC to reissue the C of A with a serial number with no "X" on it! And then, you'll have to unstamp the "X's" in the airframe, engine and propeller data plates. TC is very clear that OM is a one way street - don't enter if you're uncertain.
Oh, it could be done. I remember seeing a staff instruction on the return process....
It would require Minister approval to replace the data plates with supporting data, and Im sure TC inspectors will be involved (perhaps at a cost return basis) to oversee the category change, as that would be the first so they can document a procedure for future considerations.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Recent high level TC discussions I have had leave me agreeing that an engine or propeller could conceivably return to a certified existence with lots of effort. I very much doubt that an airframe ever would. But entering OM with the expectation that one could back out will result in disappointment.

Return to “Maintenance”