Any reason why you are a AME or want to be one!

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

helidougg8111
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Any reason why you are a AME or want to be one!

Post by helidougg8111 »

the only reason you would want to be an ame is if your intelligence was stunted, you had unrealistic expectations of what the job entails, are happy making less then what any other tradesmen make, had some demented fetish for aviation (akin to being one of those weridos who gets off on being humiliated and blackmailed by a dominatrix) and enjoy being seperated from your family with night shift and rotations.

dougg out
---------- ADS -----------

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by robertw »

Helidoug, I sense a wee bit of bitterness in your posts today. A lot of us have had a good go in aviation. Not all of it is shift work and travelling to remote locations away from family. I have been working in aircraft maintenance and manufacturing for close to 20 years and I have never had to travel extensively. Aviation has been good to me and my family. If you have a lame working situation that does not suit your desired lifestyle, you have the power to change that. Being bitter and calling out others will not help you or anyone else, but only make you hate your own situation more.

helidougg8111
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by helidougg8111 »

robertw wrote:Helidoug, I sense a wee bit of bitterness in your posts today. A lot of us have had a good go in aviation. Not all of it is shift work and travelling to remote locations away from family. I have been working in aircraft maintenance and manufacturing for close to 20 years and I have never had to travel extensively. Aviation has been good to me and my family. If you have a lame working situation that does not suit your desired lifestyle, you have the power to change that. Being bitter and calling out others will not help you or anyone else, but only make you hate your own situation more.
im glad aviation treats some of you well! This mindset is usually reserved for owners and their kids who decide to get in the business by overstepping the rest of the staff, who has the real world experience. If your genuinely happy with working in aviation maintenance, and are satisfied with everything it encompasses ie; salary, benefits, rotations, shifts ect, then id say you fall in to the Unicorn/bigfoot category! There is a reason this industry has earned the stereotypes it has. Ive been across the country and can count on on one hand how many ames ive met who are not regretful and looking leave.

And i dont feel im calling anyone out, just adding a perspective to educate naive ame wannabes before they get in the biz.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

helidougg8111 wrote:and are satisfied with everything it encompasses ie; salary, benefits, rotations, shifts ect,
I am pretty sure nobody is ever satisfied with EVERYTHING a job encompasses. Most AMEs I meet seem to be having some sort of fun doing their job.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
helidougg8111
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by helidougg8111 »

digits_ wrote:
helidougg8111 wrote:and are satisfied with everything it encompasses ie; salary, benefits, rotations, shifts ect,
I am pretty sure nobody is ever satisfied with EVERYTHING a job encompasses. Most AMEs I meet seem to be having some sort of fun doing their job.
There is nothing wrong with the actual physical act of turning wrenches on aircraft. when i was young i rather enjoyed it.

my point was not that other jobs will satisfy every desire, they will provide better in every aspect then an ame job.

Angusnofangus
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Angusnofangus »

I work with about 15 other AME's, and I would say that only about two of them wish they were doing something else. For sure we all have complaints, but over all, I think most of us are happy. We have good pay, no shift work, and not a lot of pressure. I have seen the other side of it: crap pay, shift work, and pressure to get things done. And I'm still here. Aviation has been good to me, and thus my family, even with all the warts.

helidougg8111
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by helidougg8111 »

Angusnofangus wrote:We have good pay, no shift work, and not a lot of pressure.
your being deprived of the full ame experience! you must work for a government service! :?:

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by robertw »

helidougg8111 wrote:
Angusnofangus wrote:We have good pay, no shift work, and not a lot of pressure.
your being deprived of the full ame experience! you must work for a government service! :?:
Doug, I don't think it's fair to assume that he works for the Gov't just because he's got good working conditions. Those companies are out there. They're not usually air operators though.

bombardierfixer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bombardierfixer »

Aviation had been pretty good for me. Yes the pay could be better, yes there are sometimes I wished I did something else. Being a AME has in the end provided a good career and a relatively comfortable life for me and my family so far.

Return to “Maintenance”