Choices for maintenance

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

fwsapp
Rank 0
Rank 0

Choices for maintenance

Post by fwsapp »

I am interested in training to become an aircraft maintenance engineer at BCIT. I have been doing a lot of research but have one major question that I cannot find an answer for and hope someone here has the knowledge I seek.
Upon completing the training and finding work, can one be licensed to repair both helicopters and jet aircraft or must I decide between one or the other? The company I am interested to work at has both aircraft types and I would like to be able to work on both.
Any help that could answer this question would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
---------- ADS -----------

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Choices for maintenance

Post by YYCAME »

Your license will let you work on both, but your experience will matter more to the company that hires you because they will want to hire someone that has already worked on their types of aircraft over someone with no practical experience. So to a large degree where you work as an apprentice will influence your future career because as you become more specialized on certain aircraft it just makes sense to make money with those skills rather then starting all over again on something unfamiliar. The only question then is whether you have an M1 or M2 license which separates the size of aircraft you can work on, or if you have both then that isn't an issue. If the company you apprentice at has both sizes of aircraft then you can work on two logbooks at once to get both done.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

This aviation industry does NOT limit a person's desire to learn and gain experience and knowledge and ratings ,,,I suggest you " go for it" and gain experience in all fields and ENJOY and decide later , what specific field in aviation you wish to pursue !!!

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

M1 and M2 are 2 disciplines,,,,, both interchangeable with respect to knowledge and experience but IMHO, Gaining an M1 and working in ALL aspects of aviation makes you a better AME than staying with M2 only,,,,,,,, ALSO, go get your pilot's licence and somewhere along the way, you will thank me !

kilpicki
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by kilpicki »

First some clarification on Jet and helicopters. The jet is an engine type, you can have piston or jet fixed wing aircraft and piston or jet helicopters. And yes you can work on both.
I'd suggest you read and do MORE research before committing to go to BCIT.

Return to “Maintenance”