Safety wire pliers size

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

frmech
Rank 0
Rank 0

Safety wire pliers size

Post by frmech »

Hope everyone is having a nice Sunday,

I've searched around but did not find an answer. I am starting as an apprentice in a week at a new job and I'm trying to finish buying basic tools.

I've used 6 inch and 8-9 inch safety wire pliers at school, but in the real world, is there one better than the other one? Are there tasks I won't be able to do with a 6 inch pair and vice-versa?

Thank you all
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Safety wire pliers size

Post by PilotDAR »

I have only ever owned 8-9" safety pliers, and I have never felt that they would not do the job. I suppose there are some tight spots where longer ones won't work, but that has not been my experience. Note that it is still possible to safety with regular pliers if you have to, just not as easily. My advice would be to buy very good quality safety pliers, as lower quality may disappoint you as you come to appreciate good, dependable tools.

frmech
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by frmech »

PilotDAR wrote:I have only ever owned 8-9" safety pliers, and I have never felt that they would not do the job. I suppose there are some tight spots where longer ones won't work, but that has not been my experience. Note that it is still possible to safety with regular pliers if you have to, just not as easily. My advice would be to buy very good quality safety pliers, as lower quality may disappoint you as you come to appreciate good, dependable tools.
I was thinking about buying the Milbar ones with the cushion throat. Opinion?

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

I vote for 6". Better for maneuvering in restricted spaces. Lighter to hold. No need for the larger, unless you're using something heavier than 041".
I have an old 9" pair that I've never touched once since buying a better quality 6".

frmech
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by frmech »

GyvAir wrote:I vote for 6". Better for maneuvering in restricted spaces. Lighter to hold. No need for the larger, unless you're using something heavier than 041".
I have an old 9" pair that I've never touched once since buying a better quality 6".
Where would 41 or thicker be used?

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

frmech wrote:Where would 41 or thicker be used?
No idea! Something larger than I've ever had the pleasure of working on, I guess. I have seen 0.060" wire before, but not in use.

frmech
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by frmech »

GyvAir wrote:
frmech wrote:Where would 41 or thicker be used?
No idea! Something larger than I've ever had the pleasure of working on, I guess. I have seen 0.060" wire before, but not in use.
What brand of pliers do you use? I was thinking about the Milbar 25W pliers.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

I have the equivalent to the 25W with the (now unavailable) Tigerwave jaws.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to the reintroduction of the Tigerwave from Milbar/Snap-on a year or two ago? They were there and then gone again.

frmech
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by frmech »

GyvAir wrote:I have the equivalent to the 25W with the (now unavailable) Tigerwave jaws.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to the reintroduction of the Tigerwave from Milbar/Snap-on a year or two ago? They were there and then gone again.
I wanted to get those last year (found a few on ebay), should've...

I guess I'll buy the Milbar one and file the tooth a bit if I see stress risers on the lockwire.

torquey401
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by torquey401 »

Try searching for 7W Tigerwave. They were available last year.

dashx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by dashx »

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.as ... ore=canada

WTS6 is supposed to have the tigerwave jaws. The snap on online catalogue doesn't show the actual twisters. You need to see the paper catalogue. It was available this summer.

BTW the forward engine mount on the CRJ200 uses .051" lockwire (mount to pylon bolts).

Glasnost
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Glasnost »

I've always liked my China brand 9". Just take a file to them so they don't score the wires. Tight spots I'm using smaller pliers or hand twisting anyways but the big size is nice for 40 thou lockwire for props and stuff.

Return to “Maintenance”