what country can i use with AME license?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

yoon
Rank 0
Rank 0

what country can i use with AME license?

Post by yoon »

hello guys,

I am an international student and studying aircraft maintenance in college in Canada now.

I've heard that international students, especially who do not have any experience in this field, will have hard time to find a job as a maintenance.

So, I am wondering if I can work in China or Dubai or other country after I graduate from the college without any license?
or What if I could get a job and get AME license, could I use this license in other countries?

thanks
---------- ADS -----------

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: what country can i use with AME license?

Post by plhought »

Yes, it will be hard for you to expect to work on fancy 777s for Air Canada/Emirates/Cathay/Xhina Whatever in Vancouver/Toronto out of school.

If you are willing to move out of the big centers, there's tonnes of work out there in Canada. Start reading about work Visas right now.

I'm flabbergasted the schools don't educate about the limitations of the training to international students prior to enrollment.

As for some of your questions regarding the international prospects of your AME Basic 'M' training, it's probably a question better poised to the appropriate national authority of the country you are thinking about working in.

yoon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yoon »

thank you for replying, plhought.

I understand that there are M1 or M2 license depends on the size of the aircraft.

and I am not expecting that I could get a job in air canada or westjet, like big companies.

I just want to work where I can learn more about maintenance after graduation.
I don't care if the workplace is far from the big city, but I do care the salary since I am spending too much money for tuition fee now because I am an international student.
almost 10,000 dollars a semester.

But the thing is, would I be still able to find a job? I've heard lots of rumors like it took more than a year to get a job for international students.

In that case, I want to apply jobs in canada and in china or dubai or other countries as well after graduation. Not big company.

thanks ahead,

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad.asp

The benefit of the Post-Grad work permit is you do not require a labour opinion, nor do you require a employer to sponsor you.

Depending on your duration of your AME program, you will be eligible for up to a 3 year work permit, beginning around the end of your studies. If you already hold a student work visa, the process is (relatively) quick. The process of the post-grad work permit will require documents/etc from your school - similar to the student visa.

Begin looking for work and making plans in the last couple months of your AME program. The quicker you can get the work, the longer you will have to complete your apprenticeship and gain your Canadian license.

If you feel your english/language skills are behind, make a concerted effort now to improve them, before school gets too hectic during the end. Potential employers should not discriminate based upon your status (as a international student/work permit holder) - but they can "discriminate" based on your language comprehension (within reason). This is a field with complex day-to-day communication, in addition to all the manuals & paperwork. A poorly written cover letter/resume will usually end up right in the bin.

It will not take you a year to find a job if you are willing to relocate. Most of the horror stories I hear about Apprentices getting stuck grooming airplanes/chucking bags are in the larger centers. If you are willing to make a sacrifice to relocate to some far flung spot in Northern Sask/Yukon/NWT/Manitoba/whatever - opportunities are there. There is opportunities in some larger places as well - a quick peruse of the AvCanada job showed a couple - so don't be afraid to apply!

Good news about salary is usually the far-off places will usually pay better than any of the airplane-work within the major centers. Places like North Wright Airways, Tindi, other outfits up north may even offer subsidized accommodation - which should help the money situation. Otherwise Apprentice pay isn't going to be phenomenal - it can be supplemented through with some decent OT.

Questions about your training being acceptable for apprentice jobs abroad is a little beyond my knowledge. You'll have to ask someone who is knowledgeable with the training requirements for those countries respective aviation authorities. They may accept Canadian schooling as acceptable, they may not. Many of the foreign jurisdictions, particularly in China and Middle East, are harmonizing their training & practical requirements along EASA standards. Unfortunately, Canadian AME Basic 'M' training is not an EASA-structured program, but it may be eligible to reduce the experience requirement by the duration of your program. These are questions better posed to the applicable authorities abroad.

Simply put, if your intention is to gain a Canadian AME license and stay in Canada - there is work here and you will be successful with effort. Just apply everywhere and start working on that work permit application.

If your intention is to gain a Canadian license, then return to your native country - then you will have problems finding work. Employers can see through that.

Any other questions give me a shout!

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

Canadian AME license is not recognized world wide and is not transferable to any country, just like Canada doesnt recognize any other countries licenses. If you want to be a worldly AME, get the EASA license. Many countries recognize it. Im surprised this wasnt explained at your school.

yoon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yoon »

Thank you so much guys.

I now understand what I have to do.

I've been afraid of going back to my country because I wouldn't be able to get a job in the future.

Too many rumors around me...It makes me depressed and I feel like I am wasting time and money now.

But, since there are opportunities in Canada, as you guys said, I can be relieved little bit now and focus on my duties.

Thank you so much again.

kevinzhu
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kevinzhu »

how are you doing right now ,did you get a job elsewhere in Canada?

Return to “Maintenance”