Young Maintenance Graduate Looking for Advice.

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Post Reply
TwoMileShoreline
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:13 am

Young Maintenance Graduate Looking for Advice.

Post by TwoMileShoreline » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:51 am

Hello guys,

I am an international student graduated from aircraft maintenance course in February. It has been solid 8 months since I graduated and I have submitted numerous copies of resume regardless the location and job type. I have traveled to many places such as Kelowna, Prince George, Terrace, Smithers, even Whitehorse and Yellowknife in order to hand in my resumes in person. However, all I heard from people is that aviation has been slow especially during this year. I got 2 interviews before but wasn't chosen by either of them. I am very helpless right now. My classmates (17 of them), besides 2 that have gotten in this field, rest of them started to give up searching and settled down in non-aviation jobs. I know it is tough for an international graduate to get the first AME job, but being an aircraft mechanic has been my dream for years. Can anyone share some suggestions or stories regarding ? Anything you would like to say is greatly appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:07 pm
Location: Not Telling...

Re: Young Maintenance Graduate Looking for Advice.

Post by robertw » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:54 am

If your dream is to be an AME, then my advice is persevere.

You've listed a number of major centers in BC / Yukon. There are a lot more companies out there in not so major centers. There are all sorts of operators / AMO's on Vancouver Island too and up the coast of BC. Use Transport Canada's search engine to find ones with active approvals.

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/C ... x?lang=eng

If no luck in BC / Yukon, there's a great wide world past the BC border, so go East! Try to make yourself stand out from the rest of the apprentices looking for work by highlighting some of your non aviation skills. If you're a foreign national, you likely have second, third and possibly more languages. Highlight that. Some AMO's are required to have persons who can speak certain languages on staff to maintain foreign maintenance approvals. Can you weld? Do you fix cars or other small engines? Do you know plumbing or house electrical? Did you work on a farm? Can you put up a fence like no one's business? Show something to indicate that you are a hard worker and won't complain or shy away from a boring / tedious / messy work. There are so many young guys (old guys too!) in this industry that have a sense of entitlement, are lazy and consider themselves above doing certain jobs. Showing that you're not one of them will set you apart. As an apprentice, you have to be willing to do what the boss says (as long as it's not illegal or unsafe!) and do it well.

Keep looking and keep trying!
---------- ADS -----------
  

kilpicki
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:37 pm

Re: Young Maintenance Graduate Looking for Advice.

Post by kilpicki » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:17 pm

I'm curious as to your Nationality? I hear about International students doing their training in Canada and then some looking for jobs locally with no or limited success
I have also heard of students with a sponsor doing the schooling in Canada then going home to a guaranteed job.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
all_ramped_up
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:32 pm
Location: YQY / YSU
Contact:

Re: Young Maintenance Graduate Looking for Advice.

Post by all_ramped_up » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:24 pm

Jazz is hiring around 50 candidates for Heavy Maintenance in Halifax.

You should drop a resume into them. A bunch of folks I went to school with are working there now. (Graduated 2015)
---------- ADS -----------
  

TwoMileShoreline
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:13 am

Re: Young Maintenance Graduate Looking for Advice.

Post by TwoMileShoreline » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:53 pm

robertw wrote:If your dream is to be an AME, then my advice is persevere.

You've listed a number of major centers in BC / Yukon. There are a lot more companies out there in not so major centers. There are all sorts of operators / AMO's on Vancouver Island too and up the coast of BC. Use Transport Canada's search engine to find ones with active approvals.

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/C ... x?lang=eng

If no luck in BC / Yukon, there's a great wide world past the BC border, so go East! Try to make yourself stand out from the rest of the apprentices looking for work by highlighting some of your non aviation skills. If you're a foreign national, you likely have second, third and possibly more languages. Highlight that. Some AMO's are required to have persons who can speak certain languages on staff to maintain foreign maintenance approvals. Can you weld? Do you fix cars or other small engines? Do you know plumbing or house electrical? Did you work on a farm? Can you put up a fence like no one's business? Show something to indicate that you are a hard worker and won't complain or shy away from a boring / tedious / messy work. There are so many young guys (old guys too!) in this industry that have a sense of entitlement, are lazy and consider themselves above doing certain jobs. Showing that you're not one of them will set you apart. As an apprentice, you have to be willing to do what the boss says (as long as it's not illegal or unsafe!) and do it well.

Keep looking and keep trying!
Thank you for the suggestion and encouragement. I am still trying my best :-) Cheers
---------- ADS -----------
  

TwoMileShoreline
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:13 am

Re: Young Maintenance Graduate Looking for Advice.

Post by TwoMileShoreline » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:05 pm

all_ramped_up wrote:Jazz is hiring around 50 candidates for Heavy Maintenance in Halifax.

You should drop a resume into them. A bunch of folks I went to school with are working there now. (Graduated 2015)
Thank you for the information! I have already applied to this position. Are they hiring apprentice in a rolling basis? I noticed the deadline is the end of the year.
---------- ADS -----------
  

TwoMileShoreline
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:13 am

Re: Young Maintenance Graduate Looking for Advice.

Post by TwoMileShoreline » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:16 pm

kilpicki wrote:I'm curious as to your Nationality? I hear about International students doing their training in Canada and then some looking for jobs locally with no or limited success
I have also heard of students with a sponsor doing the schooling in Canada then going home to a guaranteed job.
I am an International graduate holding a work visa. That can be a drawback in the competition but I wouldn't give up because of that. :-)
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
all_ramped_up
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:32 pm
Location: YQY / YSU
Contact:

Re: Young Maintenance Graduate Looking for Advice.

Post by all_ramped_up » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:54 pm

TwoMileShoreline wrote:
all_ramped_up wrote:Jazz is hiring around 50 candidates for Heavy Maintenance in Halifax.

You should drop a resume into them. A bunch of folks I went to school with are working there now. (Graduated 2015)
Thank you for the information! I have already applied to this position. Are they hiring apprentice in a rolling basis? I noticed the deadline is the end of the year.
Not sure however this is the third round of hiring this year that I know about.
---------- ADS -----------
  

helidougg8111
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:22 am

Re: Young Maintenance Graduate Looking for Advice.

Post by helidougg8111 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:48 am

just curious, what exactly is your draw to being an ame? what do you think it entails? \

does your dream include working nights, shift work / rotations in soul destroying places, living in crew houses?
being underpaid, not only as compared to other trades, but as compared general laborers too!?
does it include the stress and responsibility of performing maintenance, adhering to regs and standards, supervising half whit apprentices, all while being fatigued, pressured and under a deadline?
how about being away from your family regularly?
how about eating trash expired groceries from reserve northern stores? right now gaining experience and making money are probably at the top of your priority list, but with prudence in mind think about your reality in the future.
doing your taxes at the end of the year and shaking your head. 65,000-75,000 doesn't come close to being worth while to put up with the negative

or does your dream purely consist of
proudly telling people that you are an aircraft maintenance ENGINEER! and have interesting conversations about how you must be so smart and skilled. meanwhile the only thing you fixed in the past week was lav service door latch and changed a main wheel.

go back to school and set your self up for a real job.
---------- ADS -----------
  

chowda
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:15 pm

Re: Young Maintenance Graduate Looking for Advice.

Post by chowda » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:22 pm

mostly agree. I've experienced much of what you list.

The other reason to get out while ahead is the longer you stay in it the harder it is to leave. Reason mostly being that the AME credentials/experience are not recognized by other industries. Most think because of what the job is and the cost of the equipment being maintained that AME's are highly paid. I actually had an interview where the guy mostly just kept asking "I don't understand why an aircraft mechanic would want to fix boats?". It paid $35 an hr, mon to fri, dayshift, 11 years ago. Have had similar experiences since.
Get out before you have sunk too much time into it. I think I can guarantee you will happier in 10+ years time.
---------- ADS -----------
  

zhuo409
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: Young Maintenance Graduate Looking for Advice.

Post by zhuo409 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:03 pm

TwoMileShoreline wrote:
all_ramped_up wrote:Jazz is hiring around 50 candidates for Heavy Maintenance in Halifax.

You should drop a resume into them. A bunch of folks I went to school with are working there now. (Graduated 2015)
Thank you for the information! I have already applied to this position. Are they hiring apprentice in a rolling basis? I noticed the deadline is the end of the year.
Have you heard anything from them?
---------- ADS -----------
  

zhuo409
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: Young Maintenance Graduate Looking for Advice.

Post by zhuo409 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:04 pm

all_ramped_up wrote:Jazz is hiring around 50 candidates for Heavy Maintenance in Halifax.

You should drop a resume into them. A bunch of folks I went to school with are working there now. (Graduated 2015)
I am in Vancouver area, do not know if they will hire me or not.
---------- ADS -----------
  

plhought
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:02 am
Location: Calgary

Re: Young Maintenance Graduate Looking for Advice.

Post by plhought » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:12 pm

zhuo409 wrote:
all_ramped_up wrote:Jazz is hiring around 50 candidates for Heavy Maintenance in Halifax.

You should drop a resume into them. A bunch of folks I went to school with are working there now. (Graduated 2015)
I am in Vancouver area, do not know if they will hire me or not.
This is the problem with the schools. Tell you there's lots of work (which there is), but neglect to tell you that it's not where you live.

All-ramped-up is telling you there's lots of work - if you are willing to relocate....apply for the position, get hired, move to Halifax and you'll be working for decades.

Stay in the Lower Mainland, have fun grooming airplanes and cleaning hangars for years whilst you vie for that coveted "Apprentice" position....
---------- ADS -----------
  

zhuo409
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: Young Maintenance Graduate Looking for Advice.

Post by zhuo409 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:19 pm

plhought wrote:
zhuo409 wrote:
all_ramped_up wrote:Jazz is hiring around 50 candidates for Heavy Maintenance in Halifax.

You should drop a resume into them. A bunch of folks I went to school with are working there now. (Graduated 2015)
I am in Vancouver area, do not know if they will hire me or not.
This is the problem with the schools. Tell you there's lots of work (which there is), but neglect to tell you that it's not where you live.

All-ramped-up is telling you there's lots of work - if you are willing to relocate....apply for the position, get hired, move to Halifax and you'll be working for decades.

Stay in the Lower Mainland, have fun grooming airplanes and cleaning hangars for years whilst you vie for that coveted "Apprentice" position....
Good point!
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “Maintenance”