Question for the Helicoptor AME's

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

cman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Question for the Helicoptor AME's

Post by cman »

Hi

I am a licensed AME M1/M2 and recently I have thought about taking a change to the rotary side, partially because there is a job opening that is more local to me then my current position, and partially because they look cool and I need a change.

Has anyone worked with a fixed wing AME that has gone to the Rotary side?

I am a larger guy so climbing up on them does not appeal to me no issues with ladders or playforms though will this be a big issue the position is not in a remote location?

at first it was just a thought the more I think about it the more I like the idea
---------- ADS -----------

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Question for the Helicoptor AME's

Post by robertw »

I was on the fixed wing side. Small GA stuff and up to Twin Otters and made the switch to fling wing shortly after becoming licensed. It was great for me and was a welcome challenge. There is a bit of a prejudice about fixed wing guys in the helicopter world though. I can't see how you'd be able to do it though not being able to climb on the machines. Ladders will only get you so far and when you're off base, you'll likely not be bringing too many ladders with you. Any drive train or rotor head maintenance will require you to be on top of the machine.

If you're working for an operator, you'll likely be sent away with your machine wherever it goes which will likely not be near an airport. Typically, helicopter guys will travel much more than a fixed wing guy unless you are in a component shop or something like that. If the company you're hoping to work for is not an operator, but just an AMO, there's more chance of you staying put, but expect to travel some.

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

I can't see how you'd be able to do it though not being able to climb on the machines. Ladders will only get you so far and when you're off base, you'll likely not be bringing too many ladders with you. Any drive train or rotor head maintenance will require you to be on top of the machine.

If your "larger" and its to the point that you don't like climbing physically, I don't think helicopters is an option. There are many other things doing in field maintenance on helicopters that require reasonable physical fitness. Im sitting here right now trying to remember even one helicopter AME that was overweight when I was doing it. Slight beer belly..different story.

Bones
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bones »

I can second the bit of prejudice towards the fixed wing guys crossing over but speaking for myself it was more laughable than anything.

What I will actually comment on though is that there was one guy I worked with that was definitely on the "large" side, and couldn't climb on the machines or anything more than a small 3-step ladder. Thing is, he had already been in the industry for probably 20 years and knew the equipment well enough that they could just stick him with an apprentoid that he could give directions to from the safety of the ground (or truck, depending on the weather).

Good luck, but I'm also of the opinion that you might not get too far if mobility is an issue.

Nothing holds like a good, tight crossthread.

Return to “Maintenance”