TBO 2000?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

TBO 2000?

Post by geneticistx »

Hi there,
I'm looking at getting a plane, and one i came across looks pretty good.

There is 1800 hours on the 2000 TBO (cessna 172)

I've been told that the oil consumption is very low and there is no metal to be seen or found.

What is truly a typical TBO for a 172 engine, if it has been maintained properly?

thanks
---------- ADS -----------

black hole
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: TBO 2000?

Post by black hole »

5000 hours is not unheard of.

BH

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

What BlackHole said. Many O-320's are run well beyond their TBO successfully when they are monitored for oil consumption, metal generation, and good compression.

That being said, 5000 hours is not unheard of, but it's not "normal" either. An engine that's run daily, not abused, and stored in a dry hangar is more likely to get there than one that's run 10 hours a year and parked outside, however.

CFR
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CFR »

While you can go beyond TBO, do not think this means no major work. If an engine gets to 5000 hours it will still likely have gone through a number of cylinder changes, mag rebuilds, etc along the way. Plus there will be the lesser costs such as generator rebuilds, vacuum pumps, etc.

edmanster
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by edmanster »

What O-320 engine is is ?? -H2AD ?? .. who overhauled it? How long ago? Was it a school AC? did it fly 5 hours a year? Was it located on the coast? How are the rubber parts - look like new or all cracked? Original new cylinders or been OH several times .. just some of the questions to consider .. Who was the mech who been signing it out, thorough or just oil & plugs - and looked the other way on jobs that he did not want to do ..

Piston Power
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Piston Power »

Our maintenance schedule approval allows us to run our O-320-H2AD and IO-360-L2A engines to 2200 Hours. At this time cylinder compression are generally around 75/80 to 78/80psi with low oil consumption. We likely could run them much longer.

Also keep in mind that a very high time engine may not yield much return in the cost of the engine core.

edmanster
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by edmanster »

Approved Maintenance Sched & -H2AD engines are very subjective items .. I ran several -H2AD engines / almost all to TBO. But I had to pull & inspect the hydraulic lifters every 50 hrs. If your aircraft is a summertime queen with a conscientious pilot and lots of tender-loving care .. I can easily understand TBO. But if this is a school AC with -10C morning starts & yahoo pilots .. good luck. The instant there is a lack of oil between the cam & lifters - this will be the onset of the self destruction cycle within 100 HRS. very sensitive.

Piston Power
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Piston Power »

Approved Maintenance Sched & -H2AD engines are very subjective items .. I ran several -H2AD engines / almost all to TBO. But I had to pull & inspect the hydraulic lifters every 50 hrs. If your aircraft is a summertime queen with a conscientious pilot and lots of tender-loving care .. I can easily understand TBO. But if this is a school AC with -10C morning starts & yahoo pilots .. good luck. The instant there is a lack of oil between the cam & lifters - this will be the onset of the self destruction cycle within 100 HRS. very sensitive.
Pulling the lifters at 50 hour intervals seems a little excessive. We run our H2AD engines approximately 400 to 600 hours per year in a flight school environment. The lifters are inspected at 1000 hour intervals during the exhaust valve guide inspection in accordance with Lycoming SB388C. At this time, it is has been extremely rare that an issue is found with a lifter.

Return to “Maintenance”