a problem with compass swing

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ben_davis
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: a problem with compass swing

Post by ben_davis »

GyvAir wrote:No wet compass there:

The small screen on the LH side with the attitude and mini HSI is likely the standby one, may not be the conventional wet compass, but there will always be a standby
---------- ADS -----------

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

ben_davis wrote:The small screen on the LH side with the attitude and mini HSI is likely the standby one, may not be the conventional wet compass, but there will always be a standby
I presume it is, as well.

Point being, though: I've seen hundreds of aircraft with standby HSIs incorporating an independent standby compass, but this is the first aircraft model I'm specifically aware of, where the old whiskey compass or equivalent has been omitted.

geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by geneticistx »

Just went through this exact problem. Take this for what it's worth, and people make mistakes. Had a compass swing, got it back from shop, and everything seemed okay, for a bit, then, everything went off about 20 degrees. We thought it was the magnets in the electronics (which it still may have been), but it took 2 AMEs and 2 pilots to figure out that the the error was pretty close to the variation in the area. Our next step was to ensure we had an accurate compass rose, everything turned on, and then did the swing. For the love of god, the compass was initially swung to true north, not magnetic north. All good now.

Return to “Maintenance”