Any opportunity of working on lycoming engines would be appreciated.

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

iamadog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Any opportunity of working on lycoming engines would be appreciated.

Post by iamadog »

Hi, all,
I am at Calgary. I have been an ame apprentice for 2.5 years, and am very close to get my M1 license. Currently I am working on twin-otters and kingairs. Personally, I am very interested in piston engine (Lycoming or Continental or similar) overhaul. If anyone is going to do such projects, I am willing to involve and work as a helper for free in weekends. Any opportunities or advises are highly appreciated.

Best regards
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by iamadog on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Any opportunity of working on lycoming engines would be appreciated.

Post by Pacqing »

Are not engine overhauls done at approved shops? Shouldn't be to hard to find them this day of internet searches. You're going to give up the time put in toward your M1 and go into a engine overhaul shop. I don't think you'll fill your log book there.

BGardner
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BGardner »

You don't need to do overhauls to get experience on piston engines. If you want to see opened engines visit a museum. Although having the background knowledge is good. Being able to get some troubleshooting experience on them would be better suited. Seeing cam shafts and wear on the lobes is great, now show me how you found that without ripping the engine apart.

iamadog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by iamadog »

Pacqing wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:27 pm Are not engine overhauls done at approved shops? Shouldn't be to hard to find them this day of internet searches. You're going to give up the time put in toward your M1 and go into a engine overhaul shop. I don't think you'll fill your log book there.
Thank you for reply. According to CARS, the overhaul of a piston engine without turbocharge is not considered as a engine specialized task, and can be done by an ame. I am doing this purely for my personal enjoy.

iamadog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by iamadog »

BGardner wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:13 pm You don't need to do overhauls to get experience on piston engines. If you want to see opened engines visit a museum. Although having the background knowledge is good. Being able to get some troubleshooting experience on them would be better suited. Seeing cam shafts and wear on the lobes is great, now show me how you found that without ripping the engine apart.
Thank you for your reply. I did an overhaul on a lycoming io320 once when I was studying at school. As you suggested I do want having some troubleshooting experience on reciprocate engines. As for your question, I am not sure about it. The cam lobes are there to push the push rods, so if the lobes are worn, the travels of the push rods might not :smt040 be smooth. Maybe I can tell by opening the rocker box and inspecting the movement of push rods. Am I even remotely close?

BGardner
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BGardner »

It was more a rhetorical question then to actually give me an answer but you would notice your values not opening as far or for as long. Cam lobes often look like a teardrop in shape so infact they be getting more smooth. Yes the rocker values are where I would start. So the moral of the story is you want to be able to tell your customers that sort of thing before you open their engine.

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

iamadog wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:50 am I am willing to involve and work as a helper for free. Any opportunities or advises are highly appreciated.
Best regards
Advice? keep your name anonymous. We dont need people in this industry working for free. I know what i would do with your resume if it ever came across my desk.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
iamadog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by iamadog »

SeptRepair wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:58 am
iamadog wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:50 am I am willing to involve and work as a helper for free. Any opportunities or advises are highly appreciated.
Best regards
Advice? keep your name anonymous. We don't need people in this industry working for free. I know what i would do with your resume if it ever came across my desk.
Thanks for the advises. Not trying to be in THE industry, but I will try to remember that. :)

Last edited by iamadog on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamadog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by iamadog »

BGardner wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:13 am It was more a rhetorical question then to actually give me an answer but you would notice your values not opening as far or for as long. Cam lobes often look like a teardrop in shape so infact they be getting more smooth. Yes the rocker values are where I would start. So the moral of the story is you want to be able to tell your customers that sort of thing before you open their engine.
This is a good one, thanks again. I like talking about airplane maintenance and flying with someone how likes doing the same.

Last edited by iamadog on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
culver10
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by culver10 »

Where are located?? If you are in Edmonton area, I can put you to work on a large variety of light piston aircraft, plus I will pay you!!

iamadog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by iamadog »

culver10 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:30 am Where are located??
Thanks for your kind offer. But I am at Calgary. Sorry I didn't say my location in the initial post.

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by robertw »

iamadog wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:23 am
SeptRepair wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:58 am
Best regards
Advice? keep your name anonymous. We don't need people in this industry working for free. I know what i would do with your resume if it ever came across my desk.
Thanks for the advises. Not trying to be in THE industry, but I will try to remember that. :)
Yes, so remember that if you are working for free, you are taking work away from someone who would otherwise be working for pay. That puts one technician out of work. I once took on the role of a PRM for a small startup flight training unit without pay (got paid for my wrenching though). After doing that, I would honestly never do it again after realizing the small but negative effect that kind of deal has on yourself and others in the aviation maintenance industry. You say you're not in "THE" industry, but state you are almost done your M1? No matter what sector of aircraft maintenance you're in, if you work for free in another sector, you're taking work away from some apprentice or AME looking for a paying job so that he / she can support themselves or their families.

If you are really keen on getting into recip engines, apply for a job with a flight training unit or an AMO that services them. You'll get lots of experience then. If you really want to work for free, buy your own engine to tinker with or go work on VW Beetles.

Also regarding your reference to CAR 571.04 Sched II, if the aircraft are operated under part IV or VII, you need to be working under an AMO to work on them per 571.05.

chrismartel90
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chrismartel90 »

Hey RobertW,

Send me a personal message of your number or email, maybe I can get you to help on some Piper Navajo's. We can teach alot. No engine O/H, but engine changes, cylinders changes and some troubleshooting. You don't need to do an O/H to be very fimiliar with those, they are fairly simple.

Cheers!

Return to “Maintenance”