engine oil

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

onceacop
Rank 3
Rank 3

engine oil

Post by onceacop »

Aeroshell 15/50 hit $75 a case here in the states.
The 20/50 Cross Country is about 1/2 that.

My question is: In cold weather will I notice any difference between these oils? I fish alot and sit idle for several hours in cold weather. I preheat of course at the hanger and when I RON. Anyone out there think the semi synthetic is worth the money or that superior?

Thanks in advance Scout 88305
---------- ADS -----------

Athabascan Quote: "Know one knows the ways of the wind or the Caribou".
mikegtzg
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mikegtzg »

I fish as well just North of you in Manitoba. I have been using the aeroshell 15W50 or Exxon Elite 20W50 because of their semi-synthethic properties. Both oils have a lower pour point than regular oils. (you can try this in the freezer at home) And I feel that the engine is getting lubrication faster on that semi-cold start after a few hours of sitting on the lake. Here in MB. I just paid $80.00 cdn INCL. TAXES for aeroshell 15W50.
The other benefit I see is that the oil should flow better at less than optimum temperatures. In the summer I can get 190F oil temps, and in the winter if I get 140F I'm doing well.

goldeneagle_53
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by goldeneagle_53 »

There is plenty of advertisement out there in the south regarding cold weather oil etc. But up here where it is really cold (Canadian Arctic) people don't advertise any of that at all. We still use the 50W50, simply it has been proven to work best for us - and we don't experiment aroundin those temperatures. Oil dilution is what many of us do if things could get brutal the next dayagain. I myself did this a few times when I went hunting overnight. You also want to take the battery out each and every time and keep that thing cosy warm. As for synthetic oils, I suppose you have to take the retailers by the horns and just trust them. But whether or not you want to mix synthetic oils with synthetic oils is a question people will debate for years to come. If I was you I would stick with what has worked for you in the past and contact the oil research centers first. Regards from the far North.

"What we have here is a failure to communicate!"

Cool Hand Luke (P. Newman)
goldeneagle_53
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by goldeneagle_53 »

I meant synthetic oils with non-synthetic oils. 15W50 is still the preferred oil up here. If your temp's drop only 5 to 10 degree C below zero then just keep the engine running for 5 minutes every 2-3 hours.

"What we have here is a failure to communicate!"

Cool Hand Luke (P. Newman)
mikegtzg
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mikegtzg »

I agree with Golden Eagle on starting up every few hours at 5 - 10C below zero. But 15W50 is already a blend of synthethic and regular oils. So mixing them only lowers the percentage of synthetic. (diminishing the benefit) Both Shell and Exxon's literature states complete compatibility. I'm sure they are qualified to make these claims.

Anyone have a good pre-heat unit for those back lake stopovers. I've used a small propane cook stove with an aluminum heater duct. Likely not the safest method, so I prefer the electric interior car heaterback at the hanger.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

The pour point of aeroshell 15w50 is -42C.

The pour point of phillips 20w50 is -34C.

Which do you need?

I use 15w50 in the winter, but for other reasons than just pour point.

Return to “Maintenance”