OEMS Limiting Access to Maintenance Publications

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

OEMS Limiting Access to Maintenance Publications

Post by robertw »

So a bit of a rant here... I'm trying to get a hold of some maintenance manuals for engines manufactured by Honeywell. My company has held these subscriptions in the past, but let them lapse as we did not have much action with the aircraft types for some time. Now work has rolled in the door, we've requested access to the manuals we used to have access to and Honeywell says that since we are not an owner / operator, they will not provide said maintenance manuals.

I was a bit hot under the collar after getting that response so fired off a message to them that they were in contradiction of CAR 521.368(c) (requiring a type certificate holder to provide ICA's to those that maintain the product). Still waiting for a response from them. Is anyone else having any issues convincing OEM's to cough up their manuals so that we can do our jobs and maintain their aeronautical products? Any success in getting them?

Thanks. Mini rant over.
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: OEMS Limiting Access to Maintenance Publications

Post by ahramin »

Interesting. Kannad recently pulled all their manuals and at the same time started a dealer program which runs several thousand dollars a year and has no other requirements. Can't get continuing airworthiness manuals without being a dealer. Checked with TC and of course they don't care if the manuals are illegal copies or not, as long as they are current. Didn't think of 521.368(c) but how is it enforceable for a company outside Canada?

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Honeywell does not give a shit about Canada. The next line they'll feed you is that they are export controlled and you're s.o.l. I would go to the aircraft manufacturer next and then maybe try borrowing a set from another facility.

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by robertw »

ahramin wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:29 pm Interesting. Kannad recently pulled all their manuals and at the same time started a dealer program which runs several thousand dollars a year and has no other requirements. Can't get continuing airworthiness manuals without being a dealer. Checked with TC and of course they don't care if the manuals are illegal copies or not, as long as they are current. Didn't think of 521.368(c) but how is it enforceable for a company outside Canada?
I don't really know how enforceable it is. I did find the equivalent FAR (FAR 21.50(b)) that requires the same as CAR 521.368(c). I think that it's a bunch of BS that OEM's won't provide manuals to maintainers who do not own or operate aircraft and I don't think it's legal. I think that a person would have to make a whole lot of noise with the FAA or TCCA or threaten legal action to get any attention to this issue. We'll see where this goes on my end and I'll post whatever result I get.

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by robertw »

Heliian wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:27 am Honeywell does not give a shit about Canada. The next line they'll feed you is that they are export controlled and you're s.o.l. I would go to the aircraft manufacturer next and then maybe try borrowing a set from another facility.
I'm hoping they'll listen to reason. We are a customer service facility for the aircraft OEM and approved by TCCA to maintain the aircraft, so we definitely need access to the manuals. By refusing access they are contravening both the FAR's and CAR's. These are definitely not export controlled manuals, so if they feed me that line I will call BS on them.

DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DonutHole »

Have the customer provide the manual

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by robertw »

DonutHole wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:27 pm Have the customer provide the manual
Yes, we have done that before but are trying to stay away from doing that though. As an OEM service center, it looks a bit amateurish when you don't have the manuals to do simple things like an oil filter change or basic inspection items.

Return to “Maintenance”