contact cleaner

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ruddersup?
Rank 4
Rank 4

contact cleaner

Post by ruddersup? »

Looking at huge Amphenol and Cannon plugs that I want to clean the inside contacts. Any ideas on what is the best contact cleaner to use? I'm suspecting some corrosion inside being 40 years old so the WD-40 might be a poor choice.
---------- ADS -----------

Piston Power
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: contact cleaner

Post by Piston Power »

LPS makes an electrical contact cleaner.

http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/578

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

WD-40 , contact cleaner? huh? WD-40 is a lubricant, go to any hardware store and get a can of contact cleaner spray .

helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by helicopterray »

LPS also make a CFC Free contact cleaner that I use. It's better around plastics.

http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/586

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Pacqing wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:53 am WD-40 , contact cleaner? huh? WD-40 is a lubricant, go to any hardware store and get a can of contact cleaner spray .
WD-40 is, to quote the people who make it...
THE CAN WITH THOUSANDS OF USES
Known as the “can with thousands of uses,” WD-40® helps those who live life hands on protect metal from rust and corrosion, penetrate and free stuck parts, displace moisture, and lubricate just about anything.
It works well as a contact cleaner.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
ruddersup?
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ruddersup? »

Well I was hoping we would get some more details on how to remove corrosion. Those products mentioned only clean dirt, and I am looking for a strong oxide remover then clean area with contact cleaner. Any radio person on line to help with this?

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

I can't recall seeing any avionics tech spray a cannon plug with WD 40 but lets hear from some who do this for a living.

MZUNGO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by MZUNGO »

if the contacts are green and completely corroded they should be replaced. if we are talking about a little tarnish on the pins then LPS contact cleaner and a tiny piece of scotch brite will give them another year or so. there is a product called ACF-50 that is a corrosion preventive and a contact enhancer.
the 2 spray cans will likely cost the same as just replacing the plug and socket. (depending on the size of the plug of course)

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by robertw »

Pacqing wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:09 am I can't recall seeing any avionics tech spray a cannon plug with WD 40 but lets hear from some who do this for a living.
I have been an AME for 18 years and have never used WD40 for electrical contact cleaner or even on aircraft at all. Ground support equipment lubrication yes, but never for aircraft use. I have used the electrical contact cleaner mentioned in the first post however. For cleaning contacts, use a fine brass brush.

ruddersup?
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ruddersup? »

Okay, some ideas starting to flow. These plugs to clean are the size of your wrist with more than 30 wires inside. Replacing the plugs is not an option at this time because it's next to impossible to work in the area. Cleaning the mail end is straight forward but the female end is the challenge. Is there any tool for scrubbing the interior of female socket? Has anyone made something that's not too aggressive to cause damage?

Piston Power
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Piston Power »

Cleaning the mail end is straight forward but the female end is the challenge. Is there any tool for scrubbing the interior of female socket? Has anyone made something that's not too aggressive to cause damage?
Perhaps a pipe cleaner or small bottle brush?

ruddersup?
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ruddersup? »

Pipe cleaner - now there's a thought. Spray with DeOxit contact cleaner and work the pipe cleaner, hmmm. Thinking this is hard to improve on.
Thanks for the suggestion.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

naden
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by naden »

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.292/.f

Several DeoxIT products in the above link and some info that should help your cause. For light oxidation you could try spraying the pins and engage the male pins into the sockets a few times, bad corrosion pins should be replaced.

Cleitus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cleitus »

If you think there is corrosion present then use DeoxIT D5, also use stabilant 22 after if you are looking at low voltage signals.
Both products are expensive but they are effective.

ruddersup?
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ruddersup? »

Thank you Cleitus. You've been there and done it obviously, and I hope others lay off the ACF-50 and WD-40.

Return to “Maintenance”