Garmin G5

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

cap41
Rank 4
Rank 4

Garmin G5

Post by cap41 »

Hello,

Can an experimental Garmin G5 be installed in a certified aircraft if it is not the primary source of speed/a;titude/attitude etc?
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Garmin G5

Post by ahramin »

How are you planning on installing it? The only STC I have seen for the G5 is for the certified ones and replaces one or both gyros. EAA has an STC for the non-TSO Dynon D10 to be installed in some certified aircraft so it's possible. However the price of getting the STC would be orders of magnitude more than the price difference between the experimental and certified G5s (<1000 USD).

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

No, they want you to buy the certificated one.

Yes, you could get an LSTC for it. As above, $$$$$$

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Yes, you could get an LSTC for it. As above, $$$$$$
In this case, I suggest not planning on this being a possible solution. I postulated about approving the STC'd G5 in an aircraft that was missed from Garmin's AML. TC explained to me why I would not be doing that, subject closed.

With some regret, I must confirm that some desired modifications will not be worth the effort to sSTC (LSTC), the burden of demonstrating design compliance will be too great to be worth the effort. This would be one of those projects. Logic, and detailed thinking cannot be considered factors is easing an approval through, it's all about the demonstration of compliance. That'll give you an idea of why the STC'd units cost more....

gli77
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gli77 »

You can write to Garmin and ask for the aircraft to be added to the AML STC. I did that for two aircraft and they added both models.

Return to “Maintenance”