PT6A-28 fuel nozzle flow test rig

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

naden
Rank 0
Rank 0

PT6A-28 fuel nozzle flow test rig

Post by naden »

Hi guys, trying to convince my shop to either buy or build a fuel nozzle test bench. Currently we are just spraying the nozzles into open air and I am looking to build something that contains all of the vapor. If anyone has any experience building one or any suggestions it would be much appreciated. Pictures would be great!

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: PT6A-28 fuel nozzle flow test rig

Post by Heliian »

Doesn't the equipment need to be calibrated For doing the tests?

In any case, look for a used one or build one from diesel test rig parts. You can get cheap ones from China.

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

Calibration not required. Well maybe check your px regulators. There used to be a picture and maybe instructions on how to build one in the PW manual, probably removed now. I've saw several home made units but never an extractor unit for the fumes. Get a extractor fan and spray under it ??? Aviall has the P&WC spray kit in stock if you can convince the bean counter to splurge.

naden
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by naden »

I was thinking of building a glass or lexan box with a drain in the bottom, the fumes don't necessarily have to be "extracted" just more contained so you are not covering yourself in chemical and filling the hangar with fumes. The light source could either be external or some sort of chemical proof light mounted underneath the spray cone. I'm not sure how to mount the nozzle to the glass box as pt6 nozzles spray at 90 degrees to the mounting flange. I could make a hole in the side of the box as long as the nozzle protrudes far enough to allow the full spray pattern to be seen.

Ive seen the P&W test units and some after market ones but I've got a snow ball's chance in hell of getting the bean counters to splurge on that, I'll be lucky if we can get the supplies to even build one.

Thanks for the replies, if anyone else has any comments feel free to chime in.

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

I'm curious as to the norms at your place, are you just checking spray at low then higher pressure, using a brush to swipe the tips and if all looks good they're good to go or are you first vibrating them in a soap solution, cleaning with hot water and then checking the spray pattern?

naden
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by naden »

Pacqing wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:26 pm I'm curious as to the norms at your place, are you just checking spray at low then higher pressure, using a brush to swipe the tips and if all looks good they're good to go or are you first vibrating them in a soap solution, cleaning with hot water and then checking the spray pattern?
Ultrasonic clean the nozzles, clean in hot water, inspection of transfer tubes and sheaths , then check the spray pattern. When complete we assemble a kit with gaskets and o rings so that the nozzles can be changed out as fast as possible. We also complete a boroscope inspection while replacing the nozzles.

Our current test rig has a tank for fluid, a pressure regulator and gauge with filter and a ball valve. A hose connects to an adapter shaped like a transfer tube and we just hold the nozzle while checking the spray pattern.

Piston Power
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Piston Power »

When I used to do them, we used the same setup that you describe above. The only difference is we would spry underneath an "explosion proof" exhaust fan. It helped, but you still smelled like varsol for the rest of the day...

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

Varsol? you mean jet fuel?

Piston Power
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Piston Power »

Varsol? you mean jet fuel?
Nope. We used varsol.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I remember our AME built a rig for testing but it had no hood and we did it outside. I'm sort of amazed though that anyone would spray combustible liquid in this way. It seems to me you're asking for a major fire sooner or later. I remember attending the aftermath of spray paint meeting a hot plate in a paint shop. The entire shop burned down.

naden
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by naden »

We use varsol as well. It stinks up the hangar and your clothes are soaked in it for the rest of the shift, but probably not as bad as jet fuel would be. I know some shops use calibration fluid instead. We do it indoors near an exhaust vent but you still end up soaked in it.

After 2 sms reports and an apprenctice spraying himself in the face with the rig it seems management is content with leaving it the way it is.

naden
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by naden »

We use varsol as well. It stinks up the hangar and your clothes are soaked in it for the rest of the shift, but probably not as bad as jet fuel would be. I know some shops use calibration fluid instead. We do it indoors near an exhaust vent but you still end up soaked in it.

After 2 sms reports and an apprenctice spraying himself in the face with the rig it seems management is content with leaving it the way it is.

naden
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by naden »

ahramin wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:44 pm I remember our AME built a rig for testing but it had no hood and we did it outside. I'm sort of amazed though that anyone would spray combustible liquid in this way. It seems to me you're asking for a major fire sooner or later. I remember attending the aftermath of spray paint meeting a hot plate in a paint shop. The entire shop burned down.
I used to work for a machine shop that rebuilt hydraulic cylinders. They had their "paint booth", which was just two fold out wooden cupboards filled with different paint cans, located next to the welding area. Needless too say it eventually went up in flames when someone was spraying a cylinder while the welder was working.

Return to “Maintenance”