How long does it takes to fill up my AME logbook?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

SolidPotato
Rank 0
Rank 0

How long does it takes to fill up my AME logbook?

Post by SolidPotato »

In currently studying at BCIT, and i'll graduate after 2 months. I'm a international student,and im a Chinese. So i can only start to find a job after i got my work visa. And ill get a 3 years work visa after i graduate. However my buddy is keep telling me that we (international students) should go somewhere and try to get Canada PR first cuz it's gonna take soooooo long to get our AME license. So im a bit confused now, so i wanna know how long does it usually take as an apprentice to get his AME license.

BTW, i'm really interest in helicopter industry, and i really wanna work with it in my future life. But it seems not a lot heli company are hiring.I asked my instructor about his and she told me if i dont see they post their hire online then i should just go their company and ask them. There is a Heli-Jet company just beside our campus, but shall i just go and ask them like straight forward? isnt that a bit rude?
---------- ADS -----------

Piston Power
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: How long does it takes to fill up my AME logbook?

Post by Piston Power »

The time required to fill your AME logbook can vary greatly depending on the company you work for. You will require completion of at least 70% of all applicable tasks in the logbook. If you end up in a company that treats you poorly and only gives you crap jobs, hangar maintenance and cleaning to do, it can take a long time to complete the necessary tasks. Alternatively, if you go to a company and show a positive work ethic and mechanical aptitude and are given a wide variety of jobs on aircraft to compete, the logbook can be completed much quicker. In my experience, you have a greater chance of gaining a broad range of experience on the aircraft with smaller companies. Having said that, regardless of how long it takes to fill your logbook, you will have to apprentice for the required amount of time. I'm not sure how BCIT works, but if you maintain a minimum attendance at the school, you may be granted a certain amount of experience time against your apprenticeship. As an example, at Con College, if you maintain a 93% attendance rating you are given 18 months credit towards your apprenticeship time lowering your apprenticeship down to only 2 1/2 years.

Finding your first job can be difficult. I have found that it never hurts to visit AMOs in person, see the organization and meet the PRM if possible. Its never a guarantee, but it may help for those in charge to be able to attach a face to a resume when it comes across their desk.

Just my opinions, but I hope it helps.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Maintenance”