ADF installation

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

yoon1
Rank 0
Rank 0

ADF installation

Post by yoon1 »

Hello, I am a college student.

One of shop project is installing the ADF systems.

Teacher asked us to find what kind of certificate or maintenance release is required for ADF installation.

I have tried to find in CARs for a couple of weeks, and I still cannot find what is required.

Can anyone help me please?

thanks,
---------- ADS -----------

nine sixteenths
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: ADF installation

Post by nine sixteenths »

Try looking in CAR std 571.06, followed by std 571 appendix a, there’s some info there that should help you out.

9/16”

yoon1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yoon1 »

thanks for reply,

Is there any radio certification?

Should I submit Form 1 for the ADF installation? and modification report as well?

thanks,

nine sixteenths
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nine sixteenths »

I think you have a misconception regarding what a Form One is. A Form One is a release certificate, so if you purchased an ADF controller, an antenna, or some other approved airplane part to install it would should come with a Form One, and possibly also a distributor release certificate. If your company is repairing or manufacturing a part you would make a Form One, but if you buy it from a distributor the Form One is the paper that comes with it and says it’s an approved aircraft part. Some parts you even have to pay extra for that paper, depending the source!

With the information you provided in the original question, I assume you are installing an ADF system in an aircraft that didn’t have one before. So from that, at the least you would have:

-a Maintenance release in the journey logbook for the installation (the maintenance described has been performed in accordance with the applicable standards of airworthiness), this would describe the work performed and reference the standard to which you did the work, for example the STC to install the new equipment, and referencing AC 43-13, the STC, and/or the aircraft’s maintenance manual. Attached to this maintenance release would most likely be a work order reference (assuming it’s being done by an AMO) and those Form Ones and any other parts certs as part of the work package, this work package contents is all dependant on the AMO’s policies. They usually include a copy of the completed work package tothe aircraft owner.
-A major mod report, for a change to the type design
-A weight and balance report (more specifically an amendment), because you are changing the weight of the aircraft
-An electrical load analysis report (the info for this report is generally included in the STC or Engineering Order paperwork package, in my experience, also not commonly considered as required)

The CARs regulations can be a tricky place to navigate, but all of this info is in there. These regs are the basis for our careers, it’s not just for passing the exam and getting the license! An excellent book of reference is CARs for the AME by Bill Fraser. Best one I’ve ever found, if your school is using Aviation Regulations Simplified I advise also purchasing Bill’s book, it’s way better.

For further clarification on “Form One”, I highly suggest reading in CARs std 571, appendix J

9/16”

yoon1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yoon1 »

thanks for the reply

I have been misunderstanding about Form 1. I thought it was just a maintenance release form after you performed any kind of maintenance.

After I read your explanation and STD 571, I understood exactly what Form 1 is for.

Yeah, I only have an Aviation Regulation simplified book. I am going to get the Bill Fraser's book soon to understand regulation better.

Thanks again

Have a nice day.

Return to “Maintenance”