The sweet smell of desperation...

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

The sweet smell of desperation...

Post by Pat Richard »

Encore M1 Category Aircraft Maintenance Engineer - Toronto

Position: M1 Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Company Name: WestJet Encore
City: Toronto
Province/Territory or State: Ontario
Web Address: www.westjet.com
Send Resume & Cover Letter Via: https://career4.successfactors.com/care ... pPq2b4o%3d
Aircraft Types: Q400

Job Description:

Encore M1 Category Aircraft Maintenance Engineer – Toronto

Are you currently at M1 AME that is looking to achieve your M2 licence? If you are we have good news for you, WestJet Encore is looking to hire you to join their growing team!

Responsibilities:
• To obtain an M2 or E licence within 1 year of being hired at WestJet Encore
• Understand and comply with the regulatory requirements and the requirements of the Company manuals
• Accurate completion of all paperwork in accordance with published procedures, manuals and documentation
• Provide supervision, mentorship, instruction and guidance for non-ACA Technicians and/or Apprentice Engineers working on shift at their facility
• Care and custody of tooling and publications associated with the maintenance function
• Accomplish all work tasks assigned
• Ensure all paperwork required for Technical Dispatch is completed properly and forwarded to the Crew Chief in a timely manner
• Communicate any safety, performance or operational concerns to the applicable management personnel and work together to rectify in a timely manner
• Perform Stores duties if the Stores personnel are unavailable
• Perform other duties and assignments as requested by the Director, Maintenance

Qualifications:
• Possession of Aircraft Maintenance Engineering License (M1 or M1 Avionics as required by the position)
• Must have experience on the aircraft that they are required to sign a maintenance release (if authorized).
• Must hold a Radio License Industry Canada (Aeronautical) Certificate within six (6) months from accepting the position (as required by duties)
• Licensed Avionics Technician to be considered
• Broad range of experience including electrical, navigation, and flight controls is required
• Ability to lift up to 50 pounds, as well as, climb, kneel, and crawl frequently in tight spaces
• Must be medically fit to wear all safety equipment including (but not limited to) respirator apparatus
• Must be able to obtain an Airport Restricted Area Pass issued by Transport Canada and AVOP (requires current valid driver’s license)
• Flexibility to work shift work and overtime
• Must be able to pass a criminal background check
• An ability to meet all conditions of employment:
o Restricted Area Pass issued by Transport Canada
o Ability to obtain an AVOP
o Post offer employment test to test physical ability and fit for position
o A criminal background check
o As per our Alcohol and Drug Policy all offers of employment are conditional on passing a pre-employment alcohol and drug screening test

Desired personal skills:
• Exercise privileges of Aircraft Certification Authority in respect to WestJet & WestJet Encore aircraft
• A positive and passionate personality, with the natural ability to effectively communicate with others
• Strong troubleshooting and time management skills
• The ability to make safe / sound decisions, while following documented polices / procedures
• A mature approach to work by taking ownership and responsibility if stressful situations should arise
• Excellent ability to multitask & handle changing priorities under extreme pressure
• Excellent communication and organizational skills
• Strong computer skills using various Maintenance programs and Microsoft Office Applications
• The ability to recognize one’s mistakes and learn from them
• A commitment to teamwork and working in a safety oriented atmosphere

Closing Date: 7/31/2018
What happens when a company won't/cant attract the qualified people they need with what they offer.

You lower the qualifications.

Im sure most small town m1 guys dream of working in toronto for encore and their wages, lol.
---------- ADS -----------

CBAME
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: The sweet smell of desperation...

Post by CBAME »

or you could go away from the oh mighty GTA and make more money with your M1

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=125173

Dustier
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dustier »

Some companies are starting to recognize that there is a shortage of qualified AMEs out there and raising their wages and benefits as a result. Some are just lowering the qualifications they will accept. Either way it seems to me that jobs are plentiful right now, an experienced AME can pick and choose, hopefully things continue to improve.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Yeah, you'd have to be crazy to take $21 an hour to work in GTA.

But you get to be part of the Westjet Encore team!!!

Can't believe they still try that ga ga bullshit in the ads..

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

I wouldn't take $21/hr anywhere as a licensed guy, M1 or M2.

lupin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lupin »

Sky Regional just upped their wages... I don't have exact numbers but they had to in order to stop the hemorrhage of employees. I heard the YUL hangar had a wall with all the safety vests hung up with names of the employees that left when recruited by AC.

Even Georgian seems to have increased their wages... on hourly wages, they are higher than AC (AC uses premiums instead of hourly wage to jack up total revenue)

Glasnost
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Glasnost »

Encore offered me a $27/hr premium wage in YYC because I’d been M2 licensed for ten years.

I politely declined.

Now I’m making six figures regular time for the first time in my life outside of aviation. 6% company matching, full benefits package, company truck, 4 weeks vacation to start, no aviation bullshit.

Hopefully the puppy mills keep cranking out apprentices high on aviation with little to no self respect. The industry is going to need them.

aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aeroncasuperchief »

Now I’m making six figures regular time for the first time in my life outside of aviation. 6% company matching, full benefits package, company truck, 4 weeks vacation to start, no aviation bullshit.
May we be privy to this ?

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

+1

pm maybe?

Glasnost
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Glasnost »

Don’t really want to become un anonymous on here, but I swapped over to wind energy. Lots of projects going up, lots of companies hiring. Skill set is perfect and advancement is fast.

Return to “Maintenance”