Contract AME rates....

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Contract AME rates....

Post by Pat Richard »

So after constantly recieving emails with offers of $43 a/hr, night shift, bunk house shared accommodations, 12 hour night shifts for 3 weeks to a month straight repeatedly because no one is interested, Im wondering what good experienced guys are expecting?

I see something like this and I see nothing great:
Aircraft Mechanics / Sheet Metal / Avionics needed for good paying long term contract
Airbus A320FAM Boeing 737 Series / Embraer 145 / 170 / 190
$40/hour unlicensed $45/hour Licensed
$100 Perdiem per 8 hour working day
$100 Travel
$500 per month reimbursed for rent a car
Please contact Patrick Wenkoff at 4035401771
patrickwenkoff@hotmail.com
ELITE AEROSPACE INC.
For me, it would need to look like this;

Aircraft Mechanics / Sheet Metal / Avionics needed for good paying long term contract
Airbus A320FAM Boeing 737 Series / Embraer 145 / 170 / 190
$55/hour Licensed, $60 a/hour ACA
$70 Perdiem per 8 hour working day
Travel - company pays all travel, including travel time
Company provides transportation
Private accomodation, preferably hotel - no bunkhouses
Please contact Patrick Wenkoff at 4035401771
patrickwenkoff@hotmail.com
ELITE AEROSPACE INC.

There's several places offering the same rates as the contract agencies so my advice is to companies is to hire contractors direct. For the same money you're already paying you stand a much better chance at finding who you need in todays market.

What's left over after the agencies take their cut is crap.
---------- ADS -----------

lupin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Contract AME rates....

Post by lupin »

Wage at the top of the payscale for AC, Westjet, Bombardier or Transat full time employees is roughly at 45-50$/hour (if premiums are calculated in the hourly wage. You would think that a contract wage where no benefits or vacation are paid out would pay out approx 15 to 20% more. Yet for some reason there seems to e a sticking point and contract wages are stagnating.

I wonder what the agencies are getting for the employees they find... Maybe eliminating the middle man (the agencies) needs to be looked at.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

From what I saw on a accidentally sent email about a year ago it was $60 a/hr that a agency was charging the company. The bigger surprise was WTF they do exactly to earn it.

I mean look at the ad I posted - accommodations and travel are for the AME to figure out, so besides a payroll service what exactly is a agency needed for?

As for why the rates are shit I think their's still the issue of AME's accepting anything thrown at them and the absolute stubbornness and denial from companies that there isn't a lineup of desperate AME's clawing at the door.

The mention of safety vests hung on the wall of employees who have quit is the only sort of action that management will notice with regards to maintenance dept issues, even in this day age.

Quickest remedy for both party's is to drop the middle man.

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

Along the lines of what is being discussed
Posting – KF Aerospace Requires Structures Personnel in Hamilton, Ontario.

Start date- July 9th,2018

End Date- End date is yet to be determined

Rate- For local Contractors who live less than 100kms from Hamilton - Licensed $37.00 per hour , Unlicensed $35.00 per Hour
-For out of town Contractors who live 100kms or more from Hamilton – Licensed $45.00 per hour , Unlicensed $43.00 per hour

No- per Diems

No- Flights

No- Accommodations

Work week- 50 hours per week. Min 5 days per week

Checks on 737NG.

Location is in Hamilton, Ontario .Must have own tools and a valid current Human Factors that is 2 years old or less and a valid WHMIS Certificate to be eligible for these positions. Let me know if you are interested and available for this position. If you are not available but you know of someone who is available please have them contact me.
This is a complete joke now as it was a few years ago and I know that when they do get people they get what they pay for. I got that straight from kf employees.

On the topic what's a agency good for, Im not a S guy, but these kind of flubs are typical for this particular agency. He initially got the month and location wrong when he sent it out last week.

aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aeroncasuperchief »

I worked for an agency for a few months then promptly quit ! It was getting difficult to look at myself in the mirror!!

Dustier
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dustier »

A licenced AME should be getting at least $60/hr for contract work. All companies are crying for people now. Jazz is looking for people across the country, M, E, S, any experience level. Encore looking for M1 guys. Wages and conditions have been sub-par for so long, there is a real shortage of people in the industry. Now wages and benefits have to increase as airlines compete for the talent that remains.

Boeing757
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Boeing757 »

Average contract wage is $50. Should see it around $55 to $60 soon due to the massive shortage

M1M2guy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by M1M2guy »

I was contracting 15 years ago. I was making $43/hr then, plus travel, plus $50/day.

I did a contract in the summer of 2017 and made $45/hr, plus travel, plus $50/day.

When I look at current offers they are worse than I was making back then, its pathetic actually. At the last AME conference employers were talking about the shortage and the major shortage projected for the future. NOT ONCE did they mention an increase in pay, it seemed as if they were more interested in making it more attractive to the youth by giving them pretty uniforms to wear and fix by pictures utilizing computers so the tech does not have to think. They want to make the job of the AME a simpler one.

Now the driving force behind this seems to be AC and the other big carriers. AC basically wants the training institutes to get into bed with them, if the training institute does not then AC has made it clear that they will not hire grads from that institute.

So, if all the colleges join AC what does this mean for the other operators? Does all apprentice AME's want to work for AC, probably not!

I guess I am a little off topic, but, lets say that all institutes join AC. Does that mean AME's that can actually think and trouble-shoot will become a rarity and our skills will become more in demand? Will companies then be forced to pay better? :roll:

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Exactly, they never talk about making current situations attractive for retaining 10+year experienced AME's. Its always "attracting youth" or "minorities", etc to the fantastic field of aircraft maintenance.
Most heavy maintenance places now are total greenhorn playgrounds with the employers trying desperately to hire whatever is left of the experienced guys to train them.
There unfortunately too many old guys still accepting shit offers as I've witnessed recently.
Seriously people, get your heads out of your asses and grow a pair of balls.
If you're an ame contactor with experience and endorsements and you are paying your own travel and accommodation out of a $45 to $48 a hr rate, please go take a walk in traffic.

Your lack of balls holds the entire group of us back. There has never been a shortage/demand as there is now and many of you continue to sell out to comparatively the shitiest offers ever being made.

To the companies, your futures are being stifled for how you have and continue to treat experienced people, whats left of them.

Im very much looking forward to witnessing what is coming.

Oh yeah, $60 an hour, $60+ a day perdium, alll travel and accommodation, transportation to/from the workplace. That's to all the agencies and their client's.
You stand some chance of bringing back what you"ve driven off if you offer the above.

Otherwise, enjoy the current situation.

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

We have an immediate requirement for AMEs with a number of our client.
We are currently looking for experience individuals for positions such
has QA auditor, M2 technician, Sheet metal, Avionic technicians for the
following locations, Trios Rivieres, Quebec, Windsor, ont and Quebec
City, Quebec. This email is to let you know we are interested in moving
forward with a contract offer.

The rates are as follows

Rate: 40 per hour ( Based on years of experience/license/endorsements) +
100 per diem.
length of contract: 8 -12 months ( short term contract can be
negotiated)
start day: ASAP
hours per week: 40 - 72 hours(Max 6 days per week, 12 hours per day)

Another bottom feeding offer. I mean GTFO...

Return to “Maintenance”