AME Apprentice interview

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

yoon1
Rank 0
Rank 0

AME Apprentice interview

Post by yoon1 »

Hello, I am a recent graduate from college and I finally got a chance to have interview.

I am an international student and it will be my first interview in Canada. I have no idea about Canadian culture yet. Should I wear formal suit for the interview? like Tie, suits, and dress shoes? or just casual cloths, but not toooo casual? I think I will have interview with DOM/President not with HR. I am not sure yet but I talked to DOM through phone and email.

Can anyone help me with the Canadian culture alittle bit please?

thanks,
---------- ADS -----------

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: AME Apprentice interview

Post by robertw »

No one will be expecting you to wear a suit, tie and dress shoes. Most would find that over the top. A good clean pair of pants (no holes), a short sleeved collared shirt and clean shoes will be just fine.

edmanster
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by edmanster »

I love this topic. Being an ex-DOM who has hired some in the past.
Some of the things that one should be aware of ..
- No need for a suit / just neat & tidy / wear work shoes in case u get a tour of the hanger.
- Turn cell phone off & do not use it or be seen using it before and after interview.
(one of the biggest concerns today is that workers spend too much time on the phone)
- no earbuds .. just sit in the waiting room & pay attention for when they call you.
- No sun glasses / huge rings on fingers / face piercings / or dreadlocks - ... (Yes im old school)
- When asked about "do you fix your own automobile ?
( the most wrong response is .... Naaa ... I just take it too the dealer) :D
- DOM looking "hand-on" experience using tools & 'curious' nature to investigate & solve problems.
- Nobody expects 'apprentice-level' knowledge to install engines .. just a reliable person to start & complete small tasks & not disappear outside smoking.
- DOM expects candidate to have most essential tools & be self - reliant with tools. Last thing they want is someone running around the hanger disrupting other mechanics begging for a 5/16 socket ..
- Keep 'AME-Tech school' experience & stories to minimum. Some of the instructors are 'rejects' from the industry .. and hearing about these instructors imparting their skills into you .. may be a bit difficult for the DOM to bear. :rolleyes:
As i see it - What could be so difficult removing a shiny clean engine that has been removed 5 times in the same month & there are no problem fasteners within a mile of the school.
- Or the DOM is graduate from another school .. & that is the only school that counts !
- Listen !! keep mouth shut & only answer what is asked. Nobody interested in your personal life - save that after you're hired.
- If u want your first apprentice job / dont argue for $$ pay. I lost a few opportunities starting from top $$ - they never even counter offered. $$ is always the pivot point on the hiring decision. They want you for peanuts & unless u have good skills to sell .. be happy with what they offer. Objective is get the foot in the door. Time to haggle is after u got some experience & have something to sell.

Good Luck.

yoon1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yoon1 »

Thank you for replies with good information.

I was able to take the job and am in the aviation field finally. It is not an aircraft maintenance job though.

I will let my friends, who are going to have interview, read those replies.

Thank you again and have a nice day :)

Return to “Maintenance”