New Journey Log procedures

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

New Journey Log procedures

Post by Kejidog »

Good Day All

I am an owner of an aircraft that has an old Journey Log. It is falling to pieces. I have purchased a new TP14089 log to fill out.

I have looked online and asked a few pilots what to do. I have received a few answers. Am I supposed to carry over a few entries from the old log for continuity or just start with the hours carried over? And should i strike out the old pages of the old one? The old one dates back to the early1980’s and is pretty much done in terms of appearances. Pages are taped in and the spine has come apart.

I am looking online for some answers but I figured someone may have the answer here.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: New Journey Log procedures

Post by Kejidog »

I have found this thread but not really an answer per se.

viewtopic.php?t=41797

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I don't have time to find it for you but it's very clear in the CARs. There's a table that tells you each thing you need to enter and when. Just do each entry that is required when starting a new journey log and you're done. Off the top of my head aircraft registration and such, maintenance schedule, weight and balance, maybe fuel and oil types.

You're required to keep the old one for a period of time, I think 2 years. For aircraft resale value I'd keep it forever.

groncher
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by groncher »

CAR 605 division IV and schedule 1. You need to keep continuity from log to log, among other things. Most people transcribe the last two entries.

455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

ahramin wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:09 am You're required to keep the old one for a period of time, I think 2 years. For aircraft resale value I'd keep it forever.
It's 1 year: CARs 605.94(3).

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

So here is what schedule 1 says for Journey Log:

Aircraft nationality and registration marks
Aircraft manufacturer, type, model and serial number
Aircraft empty weight and empty centre of gravity
Cumulative total air time and, where applicable, number of operating cycles or landings since date of manufacture
(a) a description of the applicable maintenance schedule; and
(b) the date, air time, operating cycle or landing at which the next scheduled maintenance action is required

There's also a case to be made that this would apply:

Any defect in any part of the aircraft or its equipment that is not rectified before the next flight

Conquest Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Conquest Driver »

The previous comment about keeping the old one forever for resale value is a really good one. Doesn't matter if old book is old and falling apart, at least it shows that you're not trying to hide things. You can keep it someplace safe where it won't deteriorate further.

If I were a purchaser, a missing logbook would be a huge red flag.

Piston Power
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Piston Power »

What I have done in the past is to transcribe at minimum the last two entries from the old log book into the new log book to maintain continuity. In addition to this, if there are any deferred maintenance items, this is entered as well, along with the date or air frame time of the next required inspection.
In the old log book I also make an entry stating that this log book is now closed and to refer to the new log book (Volume 2...)
As stated in the postings above, absolutely keep all log books forever even if they're no longer required. The more complete your records are the easier it may be down the road should you decide to sell or need to do any research for the aircraft.

Hope it helps. I can send some screen shots of log books as well if needed.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

I would scan the last page of the log and print on the sticky paper. Also I would get a list of all ad's sb's sl's etc..... and list them based upon N/A, PCW, and recurrent. Put them in the first page of the new log.

Also this will reduce your ame's time on your next annual.saving you money

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/ ... x?lang=eng

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Return to “Maintenance”