Open Defects entered at Annual Inspection

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Hugh Jasshole
Rank 2
Rank 2

Open Defects entered at Annual Inspection

Post by Hugh Jasshole »

I'm currently dealing with 2 light aircraft where the previous AME entered open defects during the sign out of the 100 HR/Annual inspection. These defects were never rectified and the aircraft have flown for years with open defects in the Journey Log. One of these planes is under the scrutiny of Transport Canada, and on their list of deficiencies are the open defects. They referenced CAR 605.10 "Unserviceable and Removed Equipment". Since I have seen this in 2 aircraft by different AME's, I'm wondering if this is common practice in the private, light aircraft environment?

As most folks know, this a HUGE issue in Commercial aircraft operation!
---------- ADS -----------

aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Open Defects entered at Annual Inspection

Post by aeroncasuperchief »

The open defect ( and name of writer ) needs to be BELOW the maintenance release for the work done, not within the body of the maint. release.
That defect needs to be answered before the next flight, either fixed, legally deferred or some form of explanation to the effect that it does not constitute a defect !

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

Just so i can understand what it might be give me an example of an open defect? Burned out bulb? Or flap motor does not drive? Dent in aileron?

Hugh Jasshole
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hugh Jasshole »

Owner to have carb heat control replaced and alternator overhauled.

RH fuel gauge inoperative.

LH exhaust aft clamp to be replaced.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

It is the owners responsibility to deal with open defects, he/she is the one ultimately responsible for the airworthiness of the aircraft

The maintenance release only certifies that the work listed was completed to the applicable standards.

The bottom line is that an aircraft with open defects like the ones in the preceding post, is not airworthy.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

[s]Per Schedule 1 of CAR 605.94(1), the only person who is lawfully entitled to enter a defect in the journey log of an aircraft is the PIC who discovers the defect. Nobody else is permitted to enter a defect, and defects are not permitted to be recorded in the airframe, engine or propeller technical records - the only entries allowed there are listed in Schedule II of the same. [/s]
Edit: alright, this isn't correct. After reading 625.93, I see that. Shame.

The CARs make it abundantly clear that the only person who can make an airworthiness determination before a flight is the PIC.

The AME has no power to require the the owner to do this; such a entry is unlawful.
I guess that would have to be fixed.
An AME has no authority to make such a demand.

If Transport Canada makes allegations of flights having been made with an aircraft in an unairworthy condition, they had better have more evidence than unlawful entries in the technical records. If a TC inspector him or herself has provided a list of deficiencies (and, please note, those deficiencies are not provided by TC in the form of a logbook entry) then they need to be fixed before the next flight, as TC now has evidence of the aircraft condition.

To put it bluntly, AMEs are qualified to inspect and fix airplanes; they are not the gatekeepers to safe flight, and should not behave as though they are.

Last edited by photofly on Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Hugh Jasshole
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hugh Jasshole »

We AME's put Defects in Journey log all the time at a major Canadian airline. Example;

Defect- During daily inspection found #4 tire worn to limits.

Rectification- #4 MWA replaced IAW Boeing AMM 32-45-11

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

People do all sorts of stuff that doesn't meet the wording of the regulations. But I certainly wouldn't let Transport try to spank me with "evidence" that doesn't meet their own regulatory requirements.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

625.93 has more info about entering defects. In classic TC style the information notes there contradict their own regulations!

aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

Schedule 1 # 10 -- Except where a technical dispatch procedure is in place in accordance with section 706.06, the particulars of any defect in any part of the aircraft or its equipment that is not rectified before the next flight Before the next flight BY The person who discovered the defect

aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

As above,,,, An AME or a flying tortoise CAN legally enter a defect AND ground the aircraft !!!!!

aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

An AME who does an annual and ( possibly due to the owner not wanting it fixed ) Has outstanding defects, MUST enter those defects in the journey logbook AFTER the maintenance release !!!!! It is NOW the responsibility for determination ( with assistance if necessary ) if the defect is one that is a safety issue, invalidates the Airworthiness or can be deferred etc.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

An AME cannot ground an aircraft.

AMEs, please jump in and educate the masses.

John

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

aeroncasuperchief wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:55 pm Schedule 1 # 10 -- Except where a technical dispatch procedure is in place in accordance with section 706.06, the particulars of any defect in any part of the aircraft or its equipment that is not rectified before the next flight Before the next flight BY The person who discovered the defect
RIght. I didn't see that. Good call.

Minor question of interpretation: how is the person who discovered the defect to know whether or not it will be rectified before the next flight?

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

photofly wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:48 am [s]Per Schedule 1 of CAR 605.94(1), the only person who is lawfully entitled to enter a defect in the journey log of an aircraft is the PIC who discovers the defect. Nobody else is permitted to enter a defect, and defects are not permitted to be recorded in the airframe, engine or propeller technical records - the only entries allowed there are listed in Schedule II of the same. [/s]
Edit: alright, this isn't correct. After reading 625.93, I see that. Shame.

The CARs make it abundantly clear that the only person who can make an airworthiness determination before a flight is the PIC.

The AME has no power to require the the owner to do this; such a entry is unlawful.
I guess that would have to be fixed.
An AME has no authority to make such a demand.

If Transport Canada makes allegations of flights having been made with an aircraft in an unairworthy condition, they had better have more evidence than unlawful entries in the technical records. If a TC inspector him or herself has provided a list of deficiencies (and, please note, those deficiencies are not provided by TC in the form of a logbook entry) then they need to be fixed before the next flight, as TC now has evidence of the aircraft condition.

To put it bluntly, AMEs are qualified to inspect and fix airplanes; they are not the gatekeepers to safe flight, and should not behave as though they are.
Well, that is all mostly incorrect.

The person who discovered the defect is responsible for entry. If you find it while flying, you enter it. If maintenance finds it, they enter it.
Sure, the PIC can then decide whether it's airworthy or not and fly it, it's their responsibility.

The examples listed are not great descriptors of defects though.

Is the carb heat control broken? worn? approaching limits?
Is the alternator working or not?
The fuel gauge is inop, that is an easy one.
What's wrong with the exhaust clamp? Is it cracked? missing?

The moral of the story here is to not write suggestions. Enter a defect or leave it alone. And yes, if you fly around with open defects you can be fined and if you knowingly don't enter a defect, you can be fined.

Date: Count(s): Violation: Penalty: Location:
2017-06-15 1 CAR 605.94(1) $750 Pacific Region
The Pilot in Command failed to enter in the journey log of the aircraft, the particulars of a defect in any part of the aircraft equipment, as soon as practicable after it is discovered but before the next flight.

There is a lot of paperwork in aviation, keep it tight.
Schooner69A wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:36 am An AME cannot ground an aircraft.

AMEs, please jump in and educate the masses.

John
If an AME enters a defect, say "inboard spar fitting found cracked", that would technically ground the aircraft as the PIC then needs to rectify it.

aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

If an AME enters a defect, say "inboard spar fitting found cracked", that would technically ground the aircraft as the PIC then needs to rectify it.
Technically yes but that entry still does not "ground" the A/C
Maybe the fitting can be cracked IAW the MEL etc and still be deferrable and flown. If it is deferrable, then the A/C IS grounded until it is properly deferred.

Can someone enter a note AFTER the pic or ame or passenger enters a defect, to the effect that " Referencing CARS blah blah blah, this A/C is unserviceable for flight until rectification is made ? Can the entry door, ignition switch or whatever be locked/ placarded to the same effect to preclude a u/s A/C from being flown ? I would think so on both counts !

aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

Minor question of interpretation: how is the person who discovered the defect to know whether or not it will be rectified before the next flight?
By consulting with the fixator/ noting the rectification and maint. release in the JLB

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Best to keep control of your logbooks so that you have control of the defect entries. I had a con artist of an AME try to scam me into having him replace the fabric on the aircraft and possibly a lot more work as he said he wasn't happy with the wood. He claimed that the fabric was old and it failed his punch test(which left a couple of nice holes in the fabric). I challenged his assessment and brought in outside experts who knew what they were talking about. In the end, I had a tear test done, the only officially FAA approved method of checking to see if the fabric is airworthy and it was.

But he was not happy and made a logbook entry to that fact about the condition of the wood and the fabric. This was all overridden by a subsequent AME entry in the logbook who said that the condition my airplane was the best he had seen of the several other similar types he had worked on. No doubt the orginal AME was going to 'find' problems with my wood structure as well.

As for the original AME, he was fired not that much later when it was discovered that he was scamming the AMO with other fake snags to get work for his side business. Glad I was able to be part of his final departure.

Bottom line, I should have kept control of my logbooks(if that is realistically possible).

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

aeroncasuperchief wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:39 am
Technically yes but that entry still does not "ground" the A/C
Maybe the fitting can be cracked IAW the MEL etc and still be deferrable and flown. If it is deferrable, then the A/C IS grounded until it is properly deferred.

Can someone enter a note AFTER the pic or ame or passenger enters a defect, to the effect that " Referencing CARS blah blah blah, this A/C is unserviceable for flight until rectification is made ? Can the entry door, ignition switch or whatever be locked/ placarded to the same effect to preclude a u/s A/C from being flown ? I would think so on both counts !
Flying with open defects is flying a unairworthy aircraft, I'm not going to take your keys or chain the prop, it's your responsibility to have it fixed and you would be liable.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

pelmet wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:23 am Best to keep control of your logbooks so that you have control of the defect entries. I had a con artist of an AME

Bottom line, I should have kept control of my logbooks(if that is realistically possible).
AME's can't do any work without signing the log so that would be difficult.

I understand where you're coming from though, some owners don't take care of their equipment and when it's finally time for inspection the snags can pile up and since they haven't spent a dime on their aircraft for 10 years why should they bother now.

Return to “Maintenance”