shop rates

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

jakester
Rank 1
Rank 1

shop rates

Post by jakester »

got a question for those on here, place I work at a AMO that has a policy where if there is one ame to do the job lets say its a 200 hour on a 172 for example then the shop rate is say $ 95 an hour but if they put another ame on the job to speed up the inspection then its times 2 now and they want the PRM's time charged out against any aircraft in the hangar as admin fees, when a apprentice and ame work together its charged out as ame wage and a half for the apprentice......I've worked in a few places and I find this rather different than most, any comments would be appreciated, thanks
---------- ADS -----------

aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: shop rates

Post by aeroncasuperchief »

Are you saying that a 2000 dollar quote for an annual becomes 4000 dollars + if 2 ames are working on the plane ?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I always figured shop rates were per person. Two people working... double bubble.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
hangarline
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hangarline »

The time billed out to an aircraft would be in "manhours". That is to say for example, your 200 hour inspection on a 172 would take 30 hours to complete with one AME doing it, if 2 AME's do it, then it still take 30 manhours of inspection time, but it only takes 15 hours to complete. And yes, if you want to call it "peoplehours", go ahead.

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

and would it not be nice if all shops charged a slight less fee for apprentice work, but of course most shops charge say the 95.00 an hour for all "man hours " put on the plane, but of course the shop pays the apprentice about 20.00 of that an hour, but they have a shop to run, an apprentice to train ,overhead etc, and none of them are getting rich..., and by that i mean not rich like fellas that bring the tbm 850 in for mtce rich...
many shops will eat a few hours as "shop time" ie not billed to aircraft owner, for things . like they have to move 10 planes around out of the hanger while they are working on your plane, all hands drop wrenches and push em around. they dont (or should not?) put all 8 hours on your bill that day. they shop pays 1/2 hour say for plane moving ,and 7.5 on your bill.
get a shop that is reasonable and ethica,l and make a relationship work with them. Tip the boys on the wrenches the odd time...

Return to “Maintenance”