Becoming a AME with a criminal record

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

jonwpg77
Rank 0
Rank 0

Becoming a AME with a criminal record

Post by jonwpg77 »

I am interested in becoming a AME. I am in my 40's and want a career change. I have a lengthy criminal record, and won't be eligible for a pardon for a few years. I know I could never get a job at a major airport, and I am more interested in working on GA aircraft since I also have my PPL. What are the chances of me working as a AME for a small operator at a small airport? I am not in it for the money, I just want to be around aviation as it is my passion and I am already a auto mechanic, so I am not afraid to get my hands dirty. Is it possible to be self-employed as well eventually? What is the best route? I am looking at the program at Red River in Winnipeg.
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Becoming a AME with a criminal record

Post by Bede »

I guess it depends on what’s on your record? Drugs? Indictable offences?

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

Don;t see why not. I've worked at a lot and I mean a lot of FBO's AMO's etc not one asked if I had a criminal record. They want you to show up to work on time and do what you're were hired to do.

star57
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by star57 »

I think that if you paid for your crimes and are in good standing withe law, it shouldn't be a problem, but if you start advertising it, it will become a problem.
If you advertise it its because either you are insecure and find it glorious, therefore not rehabilitated and potentially a problem.
people make mistakes of all magnitudes, some have to pay for them others are not caught, its about what you can do for society today and tomorrow, use your past to be a better person and society will reward you accordingly.
Good Luck

auto.tat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by auto.tat »

Depends on your history and which airport you want to work. Transport Canada sets requirements for airport security. As example Winnipeg International there is five recurring security check to receive and maintain your airside pass.

Worked in many airports across Canada and have Canada wide pass. Not all airports ask some do, some are private. I would start knocking on doors ask where you would like to work. Float companies typically do not work out of airports. They tend to have higher turnover of AME.

It is possible to be self employed which tends to be contract positions which our more likely to be at an airport where you will require a security pass. If you are wanting to work on commercial operated aircraft on your own thats requires an AMO which costs allot of cash regulatory process.

In Manitoba you have two choices sit in classroom AME course Red River and Stevenson Aviation. Stevenson Aviation if you can get on you work and go to school for so many weeks a year.

You can call Richardson International Airport and ask for the Pass Office make inquiries on your history be forewarned they are typically busy.

Return to “Maintenance”