AME M1 APPRENTICESHIP

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Denis17
Rank 0
Rank 0

AME M1 APPRENTICESHIP

Post by Denis17 »

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering what is the average time, in months or years, for an M1 apprenticeship after graduating college.
We are all aware that the minimum requirement is 48months. College counts for 18 months, hence that leaves a minimum of 30 months before obtaining an AME license.
However, I am aware that it might take more than the minimum 30 months to complete the required 70% AME logbook tasks.

I would like to hear testimonials from licensed AME's regarding how long was your apprenticeship???.
Also, please feel free to share the scope of the company where you completed your apprenticeship, I believe that might also affect logbook filling.

Cheers,

Denis
---------- ADS -----------

CBAME
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: AME M1 APPRENTICESHIP

Post by CBAME »

it too me nearly 5 years, transport wanted certain taks from different "types" of aircraft i worked on example wheel change on single piston, multi piston, single turbo prop multi turbo prop. imagine having to do that for the majority of the tasks.

It was a battle,I'ive heard of guys just putting one or two types in the front of their log book and just using those aircraft, the simple ones. Cessna 150, 152 and 172, leave out the twins and anything with retracts and turbos. the licensing system is a bit flawed in my opinion

Dongo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dongo »

Did mine on one type of helicopter, in the min required time. made use of the back of the logbook for any small tasks that weren't in the main sections. TC guy was happy, so was I.

zhuo409
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zhuo409 »

In my opinion, do not touch any turboprop or twin in M1.
You just do Cessna 142,172 and get your logbook signed. This way is easy and fast.
If you do bigger M1 aircrafts, it will take more time and efforts, but the end you get same license.
But depends on your future goal, the more types of aircrafts you work on, you have more experience.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

After school it took me 31 months - got both M1 and M2. Combination of heavy maintenance and 703/704/705 operator.

mumbler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mumbler »

I completed my M1 License the day I hit 48 months total experience. I worked on a very wide variety of M1 aircraft including a total of 9 types of which I now hold ACA's on. These included Twin Turbines, from King Airs and Twin Otters all the way down to piston singles ranging from a Cessna 185 up to a Single Otter. It was my experience that a single entry for a task on a single type was sufficient regardless of the fact that my company operates 9 types. I had exactly 70% of my logbook filled 6 months prior to being eligible for a license as that was when I submitted for the first and only time. I was also told point blank that the additional tasks didn't matter as they were using a spreadsheet of only the tasks they list. This may have changed or may vary by region, so take that with a grain of salt.

I was very fortunate to work on a shift and time in the company where fast turnover on the line maintenance shifts made me the most experienced apprentice very quickly with the only licensed engineers being the crew chiefs and one other line engineer on the other shift. Due to this, I had an easier time then a few of the apprentices after me when it came to getting tasks. But even still, I know at least one of the two apprentices that got licensed after me also got it at exactly 48 months too.

My advice would be not to just straight up avoid any turboprops or twins in M1 as that is where the bulk of my tasks came from, but rather to find an employer with high utilization rates(regardless of type) on the aircraft they have as a bulk of tasks will be gotten faster (Ex. More engine changes/engine component changes due to TBO's getting hit faster, more snags/troubleshooting, etc.). I did 3 and a half years in a more northern community doing line maintenance and I would say it was a great way to gain experience.

My experience of course is anecdotal, and I know I would've willingly taken more time to complete my license to live at home still while I was starting out, but I also was willing to take the risk to try to benefit from the opportunities in the north.

CBAME
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CBAME »

it looks like it matters who your TC inspector is. maybe find someone in your area who just went threw the process and ask them.

the additional tasks i had recorded meant nothing to TC, just the ones on the magic spread sheet

Return to “Maintenance”