42 years old and looking at a career change ...AME?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

fonzy1977
Rank 0
Rank 0

42 years old and looking at a career change ...AME?

Post by fonzy1977 »

I will try to spare all the boring details. Grew up around planes Dad was a lead ramp hand for CP/Canadian/AC starting at YUL/YVR/YXE/YVR , was in air cadets as a kid and have always loved planes , especially float planes . I have been in the automotive field since the age of 17 . Done everything there is from turning wrenches to sales to management . After all these years i hate it but i also don't need the big money anymore . Kids are all grown up and my soon to be wife makes a good income so we dont need just one . She has suggested that i look into this field but NOT FOR THE MONEY. Im not looking at working for a major airline or anything like that . id prefer to Work in general av. in maybe a small town somewhere . my questions are i am looking at the Red Rivers program in Winnipeg and wondering how does one get to just work on small aircraft engines ? i dont understand thee lay out ? as well could someone make 40k a year doing this ? and would anyone hire a old fart like me?
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: 42 years old and looking at a career change ...AME?

Post by ahramin »

Sounds like you want to work just on aircraft engines? Not on the whole plane? In that case I think your only option would be to work for an engine overhaul facility. Not many of them around but there are a few in BC.

fonzy1977
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fonzy1977 »

no i would prefer to work on the aircraft its self , not just a engine shop

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

Go around to the local shops and talk to the technical manager and tell him your background and that you want to get your M licence. Either the ICS way or Red River.

Hugh Jasshole
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hugh Jasshole »

Where are you currently located? I have a small maintenance facility slightly east of Edmonton and always need some help in the busy spring and summer maintaining light aircraft, gliders and helicopters.

fonzy1977
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fonzy1977 »

i am in saskatoon but can relocate easy , give me a call or text 306-230-0079

Return to “Maintenance”