Considering becoming and AME, international advice request.

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

hopeful04
Rank 0
Rank 0

Considering becoming and AME, international advice request.

Post by hopeful04 »

Hi all. I am 32 yrs old. Live in Ontario and work for a school bus company as a licensed mechanic. I have been doing this for nearly my entire life now and a recent divorce/ separation has made me consider going back to school.

After doing some basic research, I've applied to a AME-E course.

After looking at all of my options and trying to understand some of the challenges within the Aviation industry from many posts on here including the stickies I am left with one piercing question.

Is this career change really going to accomplish for me what I am looking for?

The primary benefit I am looking for is ending up in a management or technical advisory OR even worst case a technician position within an airline or other aviation affiliated company located in either Malaysia, Singapore or even Bangladesh. My primary driver for this decision is to move to a warmer country in 10-20 yrs, with a lower cost of living.

Is the AME-E a good choice for this? Would AME-M be better? Would either of these help me?
---------- ADS -----------

Fling Wing
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Considering becoming and AME, international advice request.

Post by Fling Wing »

Can't tell you much about E, but with the M I would get into the helicopter side, and aim for a company like CHC, they operate all over the world, including that area. It def won't take 10-20 yrs, can do it a lot sooner I would imagine. Lots a helicopter guys work in PNG as well, and live in SE Asia on there 4-6 weeks off.

TMagnus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Considering becoming and AME, international advice request.

Post by TMagnus »

The countries you are looking at have transitioned to the EASA licensing system. Unless you can get on with a Canadian company that will re-locate you there, your best option would be to get a TC M1&M2 license and then get your EASA B1/B2. Hong Kong still accepts the American A&P license.
Companies want engineers with type ratings and business aircraft offer the best option for re-location.
It's going to take you four years to get your TC license. You have ten years to write your EASA based off your Canadian license. During that time you can build experience and type courses. It's a long time but can be done.

Return to “Maintenance”