AME qualifications, basics.

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

SteveJc
Rank 0
Rank 0

AME qualifications, basics.

Post by SteveJc »

I would like an outline of AME qualifications for Canada.

Im British 31, started in the industry at 16 have gained numerous qualifications during my 4 year apprenticeship, I have 15 years non stop experience from line to D check on various types, structures trim mech etc... Im both confident and competent.

But I am unlicensed, I get work on the strength of my experience and the qualifications I gained in my apprenticeship.

So would I have to start from the bottom if I was to move to Canada (with my Canadian girlfriend), I currently work in Switzerland looking after 737 NG's, its a good buck here and although I know a paycut is enevitable getting slashed in half just wont do.

So what's the basics of climbing the tree over there.

Many thanks Steve
---------- ADS -----------

195psi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 195psi »

If you have some sort of schooling in aircraft maintenance,college,military and have a log bookor certificates or some sort of official outline of the work you have performed you may be able to present this to Transport Canada as proof that you meet the minimum requirements concerning training. If they accept this they will then allow you to write your licensning exams.
The catch is usally peoiple who do this alreday have a license from their own country so I'm not sure what TC will allow.
The best advice I can give is to contact TC themselves and get the info stright from them. Diffrent offices in diffrent parts of the country operate diffrently believe it or not. If someone gives you a thumbs up try and stick with that person through the whole process as you do not want to arrive here and be told a diffrent story by a diffrent inspector.
There are a few companies who currently deal with NG's. Westjet operates them but does only line mntc and light checks. Cascade in Abbotsford I believe do heavy as do Premiere in Quebec and possibly Kelowna Flightcraft in Kelowna. Sunwing in Toronto is actually hiring Endorsed 737NG engineers as fast as they can find them right now.
Good luck and PM me if you need any more info.

chubbee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chubbee »

One approach could be to try for an American A&P and with that in hand you would have no probs getting a Canadian AME. Have you worked on N registered aircraft and can you document it?

195psi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 195psi »

You don't have to have worked on N regitered AC to get approved to write your A and P.
All you need is proof from your employer and documented work.
I was able to turn in my old logbook and I also asked for a letter from TC stating that I was qualified to write as I already had an AME license.
That is agood idea though.
Getting an A and P is a joke, you can take a 1 week almost guranteed to pass prep course or study yourself.
It is a good idea though and you can get work in Canada if you have an A and P.

planeguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by planeguy »

to obtain your A&P, you must now show proof of employment in the usa in aircraft maintenance, or you must go through the schooling. this is the new rule since Q4 of 2004.

195psi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 195psi »

I'm not 100% but I think that's if you want to work there (in the US). All the A and P licenses I have seen have a statement on them saying they cannot be used in the US. Job protection I would guess.I do know one guy that they seem to have forgotten that little bit of info thoughlucky %^#*, probably wouldn't work anyway.

Snips
Rank 0
Rank 0

AME basics

Post by Snips »

In kind of the same boat as you experience wise. UK technician. 16 years experience since leaving school and going into an apprenticeship at 16, with BA @ LGW ever since. Married a Canadian girl and am currently in the process of obtaining my AME M2 license on the strength of that experience (as well as sitting 3 multiple choice exams-AF, Powerplant and Standard Practices, and a Canadian air regs exam at the end).

You'll have to initially apply to Transport Canada to get approval to sit the exams by submitting a record of all your experience (got my manager at BA to sign a letter and record of mine). Transport Canada (TC) will then issue you with a form of approval to sit the exams, and you have 12 months to do them.

I'm at the air regs stage now, and hope to get my AME by next spring, as I want to be hopefully gainfully employed over there by the end of '06.

I also have my Permanent resident status in Canada already which does simplify things alot, don't know what situation you are regards immigration, but I know from experience the last few years in Canada the aviation maintenance job situation has taken a beating, but hopefully now is on the way up. Good luck, any more questions, don't hesitate etc.

Snips
SteveJc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SteveJc »

Thanks very much for the replies everyone, I guess that the next step for me will be to contact TC and go from there, if you are right and US A+P's are convertable then I shant fret too much about getting through after all the A+P doesent have the greatest reputation.

My girlfriend is from the Okanagan and I have seen that Kelowna flightcraft are often seeking peole so thats a positve.

Thanks again and goods luck parsnips!

AME343
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AME343 »

Hi SteveJc,

Check your PM's, sent you some info.

Alpine beer is the best!
harry6582
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by harry6582 »

I'm also in similiar situation my girlfriends from halifax and I'm looking to move across when my current contract ends with the Royal Air Force.
I'm currently in the middle of my EASA 66 B2, Will this put me in any better stead for conversion to AME?

boltondave
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by boltondave »

doesn't make any difference if you have an EASA licence or not......you still have to take the exams......i have a full B1 and have just applied to take the exams

you have to prove basic training which is acceptable to transport canada....i believe they have a database of all basic training which has been previously approved by them....if yours is on that list then great...if not then you have to prove to them that it contained a certain number of hours both in the classroom and practical

the only thing the licence will do is prove experience time when you come to apply for the licence

Snips
Rank 0
Rank 0

AME Qualifications, Basics

Post by Snips »

Hello Boltondave. You say that a B1/B2 will be good to count towards experience time when applying for issue. Do you think EASA 'A' License would also be acceptable by them towards experience time requirements?

Snips

Return to “Maintenance”