Sunwing

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Sunwing

Post by GoHomeLeg »

How is it to work for Sunwing as an AME?

We the pilots were told we are short AMEs and are having a hard time finding people because less people are interested in the industry.

As an AME, what are the rankings for most desirable companies to work for in the Toronto and surrounding areas including Hamilton, Kitchener/Waterloo, and Windsor?

I know relocating for work isn't an option for some because of family or other obligations.
---------- ADS -----------

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Sunwing

Post by Pacqing »

When you work for an Airliine its usually night shift, an AMO you probably don't. So Sunwing, Westjet, KF Cargojet are all in the same category. Most desirable would be the one who gives you the most take home pay. If Sunwing was that company they wouldn't be short AME's.

lupin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lupin »

It's a simple supply and demand equation. At the salary airlines are paying, there aren't enough people interested in going into the industry.

For similar schooling, (ie elevator technicians, heavy equipment maintenance etc) you can find better salaries, on day shift, more flexibility (no need to work at an large airport) and better lifestyle.

Most people don't want to work night shifts for 15-20 years... And rightly so, it's quite hard on your health. AMEs have zero duty day restrictions so many employers seem to push for long hours and lots of overtime. While lots of overtime might seem like a good thing, it's hard for the body to keep up.

dashx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by dashx »

Sunwing AME's as employees alternate between days and nights (12 hour shifts). Contractors (currently) work nights Mon to Thurs (10 hour shifts).

Since Air Canada is still hiring AME's Sunwing as well as other companies are losing AME's.

If you are a younger licensed AME looking for experience then Sunwing can be a good choice. If you are an older AME looking to wind down your career Sunwing can be a good choice (as evidenced by a very few retired Air Canada AME's that are at SW).

Sunwing does not push their employees past their duty limits. Overtime is limited so that you are not supposed to work more than 6 shifts in a row (but some go beyond that). There is a union now so things are different.......

My experience was a positive one. In talking to other AMEs currently at SW and those that have left I will say that most had a positive experience at SW.

If my information is not current then please comment...

-x

Return to “Maintenance”