Made for repair parts

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

mirobot200
Rank 1
Rank 1

Made for repair parts

Post by mirobot200 »

I'm looking to replace a cracked plastic fairing on my 60 years old airplane. I found a company in Quebec that makes "non-structural fairings that are no longer readily available", and sells them as "made-for-repair" parts. No cert, SofC, and it's their own P/N. They're not a holder of a PDA or PMA, yet they said they've sold many in Canada and US, and they've been installed on certified and non-certified aircraft... Is this legal? Thought made for repair parts are not eligible for sale... Or installation by anyone other than the one who made the part...
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Made for repair parts

Post by photofly »

The information you seek is in CAR 571.06:
(4) Repairing or modifying an aeronautical product may include the making of a part in conformity with the standards specified in section 571.06 of the Airworthiness Manual, if no part made is

(a) marked with the part number specified in the type design; or

(b) installed by a person or organization other than the person or organization that made the part.
And Standard 571.06:
(a) except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c), all repair parts must conform with the applicable type design data. Where documents such as Maintenance Manuals, Structural Repair Manuals, or other service information do not provide all of the information required to fully describe the attributes of the part, it is necessary to obtain a copy of the manufacturer’s drawings and all associated specifications;

(b) no repair part made under these provisions shall be marked with the part number specified in the type design;

Information Notes:

The provisions of subsection 571.06(4) of the CARs prohibit that a “made” part be marked with the part number specified in the type design, or that the “made” part be offered for sale. Persons making and installing these parts cannot record that the original part was repaired, but shall state that the part was replaced with a made repair part. The individual will not be authorised to state that a new part has been installed, as a “new” part will require a release under Subpart 561 of the CARs manufacturing approval.
(amended 2007/12/01; previous version)

(c) subject to subsection (6), where parts are no longer in production by the manufacturer of the part, or an authorised representative, and the type design data for the part is not available, the design data used for the making of the part may be established by inspecting and testing to determine the correct:

(i) materials;

(ii) dimensions;

(iii) hardness and temper;

(iv) surface finish; and

(v) protective coatings.

(6) Where the repair part constitutes a portion of the primary structure of the aeronautical product, the design data developed in accordance with paragraph (5)(c) above shall be approved pursuant to subsection 571.06(1) of the CARs.
Maybe there's some extra work you could do on the fairing so the company is only supply raw materials and you (under supervision of your AME) are "making" the part? Does it need drilling? Edges sanding?

You couuld just keep quiet about it. Nobody really cares, and if anyone asks, it was like that when you bought it.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
mirobot200
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mirobot200 »

That's what I thought. Haha thanks for the tip! Too bad I don't have a hangar to do it in. Starting to lean towards going owner maintenance on it. I'd probably save more on labour costs then I'd loose on the value of the plane, but couldn't train in it anymore. hmmm

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

mirobot200 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:07 pm That's what I thought. Haha thanks for the tip!
You didn't hear anything from me.
Starting to lean towards going owner maintenance on it. I'd probably save more on labour costs then I'd loose on the value of the plane, but couldn't train in it anymore. hmmm
Of course you can train in an OM aircraft. If you can find an instructor willing to fly in it.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
mirobot200
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mirobot200 »

Ya it needs drilling and half of it gets pop riveted onto the tail. I didn't know I could train in an OM aircraft! That is good to know thanks. I'll have to discuss that with my instructor.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

mirobot200 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:50 pm Ya it needs drilling and half of it gets pop riveted onto the tail. I didn't know I could train in an OM aircraft! That is good to know thanks. I'll have to discuss that with my instructor.
And the flight test examiner....

mirobot200
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mirobot200 »

I guess I could get an AME to remove the old fairing, then I'd repair it per elementary work, and then get the AME to reinstall it and sign for the riveting portion...

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Out of curiosity what type aircraft is it? Your 150?

I have an early 1960's model and you can get pma'd parts for all the fairings. I replaced my dorsal fin a while back with a new fiberglass one.

mirobot200
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mirobot200 »

boeingboy wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:48 am Out of curiosity what type aircraft is it? Your 150?

I have an early 1960's model and you can get pma'd parts for all the fairings. I replaced my dorsal fin a while back with a new fiberglass one.
Mine is a 1961. Awesome looked a bit harder and found Kots2U makes it! Also cheaper than the illegal one from Quebec. Thanks. Did your replacement dorsal come painted white?

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Mine is a 1961. Awesome looked a bit harder and found Kots2U makes it! Also cheaper than the illegal one from Quebec. Thanks. Did your replacement dorsal come painted white?
No - They come primed grey - you should get the fiberglass one. Stene aviation actually makes them. You can buy direct from them or though Knots 2 U or aircraft spruce.

https://www.steneaviation.com/collectio ... -tips+150B

All their stuff is PMA'd and they have every fairing for all the models.

mirobot200
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mirobot200 »

Perfect, Thanks.

Return to “Maintenance”