AD research for private A/C

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: AD research for private A/C

Post by rigpiggy »

I do a full ad search both TC, and Foreign.... I put them in groups by applicability, then I go through the books to find when they have been done. I do up a complete list with times dates of compliance(have AME check) then I print a sticky paper, and put in the Tech log, and journey log. I also highlight all the recurring w/ the time intervals.

next time all the ame has to search is for recurring, and a quick check of any new ad's
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

A good place to review the AD's applicable to a particular aircraft would be the maintenance schedule which has been prepared for that aircraft to comply with CAR 605.86 and AWM 625 Appendix B. For both of my planes, I have prepared excel spreadsheets which include the AWM 625 requirements, the manufacturer's requirements, the requirements of the ICA's applicable to the aircraft, and the AD's - not applicable, applicable and complied, and recurring. I list the date when I research the AD's, so the maintenance schedule always tells the reader how up to date it is.

I do this as the owner/pilot, as it's my responsibility. Of course, I could hire an AME to do it for me, and that would be fine, as long as I assure it is done. Thereafter, the record of annual (or other frequency) AD compliance can be found in the green logbook, annual inspection checksheet, and, work report, as applicable.

Though I am not an AME, were I to be, I would not expect an aircraft to make it very far into my maintenance effort without some kind of maintenance schedule, which described all of the maintenance required for that aircraft.

shaynemarshallporath
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shaynemarshallporath »

I
do a full ad search both TC, and Foreign.... I put them in groups by applicability, then I go through the books to find when they have been done. I do up a complete list with times dates of compliance(have AME check) then I print a sticky paper, and put in the Tech log, and journey log. I also highlight all the recurring w/ the time intervals.
Spot on !

VintageAviator
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by VintageAviator »

I believe it should be recommended as an option by the AME but left entirely to the owner to say yes or no. It affects airworthiness but is not an annual item strictly speaking. I would just as well show someone how to do it themselves instead of doing it for them.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

In concert with Shayne, if I was the owner of a certified aircraft and took it to an AME for the annual, I would expect that to be charged for time spent on searching for applicable ADs.

Any AME who takes the word of the owner that "...these are a list of applicable ADs on the aircraft" and doesn't check same is not doing his/her due diligence. Even if the owner shows up with a list of ADs c/w links to the applicable item (airframe, engine, etc), I'd still check. As rare as it seems, there are owners who don't have all the information or ever shade the truth... :rolleyes:

Return to “Maintenance”