Metro Maintenance

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

tigerCT
Rank 0
Rank 0

Metro Maintenance

Post by tigerCT »

Hi, I'm looking into purchasing a Metro for cargo ops and just wondering if anyone out there has realistic numbers for costs of scheduled inspections, engine overhaul, prop overhaul.
---------- ADS -----------

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Metro Maintenance

Post by boeingboy »

It varies depending on the model. There are many different engine and prop combinations, so that can vary costs as well.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

Maintenance costs are about double your pilot costs. So if you can get your pilots to work for $1/hr, your maintenance will be cheap!

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

Perhaps the poster could tell us the many engines the Metro comes with. I've saw the PT6 one as a concept but don't think it went into production. The TPE331 is the engine you'll probably have to maintain, different dash nos on different models. Props I'm not sure.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

I've saw the PT6 one as a concept but don't think it went into production.
Yes - because Pratt went on strike and the Garrets were available immediately....worked out for the better anyways! 8)

Yes - they are all TPE 331's. However - the costs can vary quite a bit whether you have -5, -10, -11, or -12. There are also 5 different props from 3 manufactures for the bird so that can change things up as well.

I guess you could average about $200,000 or so for an overhaul and half that for a hot section. But the times are about double than that of a PT6. In other words - you would only do 1 overhaul on a 331 whereas you would have done 2 on a PT6. In essence - the Garret costs you half as much as a Pratt

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

I still prefer a Pratt

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

I still prefer a Pratt
Pacqing wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:16 pm Perhaps the poster could tell us the many engines the Metro comes with. I've saw the PT6 one as a concept but don't think it went into production. The TPE331 is the engine you'll probably have to maintain, different dash nos on different models. Props I'm not sure.
The original Merlin was the now familiar short metro fuselage with queen air wings and pt6’s. the 2B had Garrett s. the Merlin 3 was new wings(short metro) the Merlin 4a(executive metro) 4c( executive metro3) there was a concept big fuselage M5 with Pratt’s or Garrett’s that never went into production. The king air B100s went into production because of the Pwc strike.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swearingen_Merlin

Return to “Maintenance”