Component logbook

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Component logbook

Post by PilotDAR »

Could anyone provide me the TC document number for a component logbook? It's been a while since I worked with them, but I'm sure I recall that they exist as a TC publication, particularly for helicopter components. A reference would be appreciated, I'd like to recommend the use of one for recording a modification....
---------- ADS -----------

helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Component logbook

Post by helicopterray »

We use component cards, not a component book.
I believe there's 3 books available from TC, beside the journey log:
Blue airframe tech log
Yellow engine tech log
Green tech log for bulletins and mods.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Thanks Heilcopterray,

That's what I thought (there's also a red propeller log for airplanes). I remember logbook wrapped around a rotor blade decades ago, thinking it had been a green book. Perhaps they'd used the mod logbook for the component times on the blade - fuzzy memory, that was back in the '70's, and perhaps things have changed...

Turbo2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Turbo2 »

I'm not aware of Transport Canada actually supplying logbooks but the regulations do outline the requirements to have log books or "technical records" for airframe, engine, propeller and components.
For general aviation the common books in use out there are the Blue airframe, Yellow engine, Red prop and a Green book titled "Installation and Modifications" specific to that aircraft. Component "Cards" are common and acceptable as "technical records" for helicopters which would identify the manufacturer, part number, serial number, time in service, time since overhaul and or time remaining if life limited and current airworthy status. (All important stuff)
The Canadian Aviation regulations no longer requires the use of the Green book but, I highly encourage owners to continue to use it as it is a one stop record or list of mods like STCs along with Service Bulletin and Airworthiness Directives compliance records. It may seem like extra work as it is a duplication of the maintenance records of what is required to be recorded in the other log books for the airframe, engine and prop but it is all in one place for quick reference.
Aviation supply sources such as Aerotransport or Aircraft Spruce can provide the books....Aerotransport has pictures here.... https://www.aerotransport.com/techlogs.html
Canadian Aviation Regulations titled "Requirements to Keep Technical Records", CAR605.92... outlines the requirements of an aircraft owner to keep the following records...(1) (a), a journey log, and (b), a separate technical record for airframe, each installed engine and each variable pitch propeller. And (2) ....(1) (b)...may consist of separate technical records for each component installed...
Also CAR605.96 (1) thru (4) makes reference to a table Schedule II that makes reference to components having to have technical records.
If all the information as specified in the regulations is documented in a "record" for that airframe, engine, prop or component than any type of book or card should be acceptable as meeting the regulations.
Where this becomes important is when the item is being sold, as CAR 605.97 requires the owner to transfer all technical records for that item to the new owner.
Hope this helps!

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

'Turns out after a little searching, that there is a TC Component Log

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... ogsec5.php

I've approved a modification to a set of floats, and will ask the owner to start a component log for the floats, describing the modification and approval, so the record can stay with the floats, should they move to another airplane int the future...

Thanks for the thoughts....

Turbo2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Turbo2 »

That's a great example of a "component log" in practical use for a set of floats, especially when they have had a modification incorporated.
Although the modification details ..should.. also be documented in the blue airframe log (also the green mod book) at the time of installation on that particular aircraft, the component log for the floats becomes an important document should those floats be removed from that aircraft and potentially installed on another. This component log would then have all the technical history to go along with the floats including the details of the modification, approval documents of the mod, any special installation instructions that may be different from the original configuration, any inspection requirements for continued airworthiness and possibly a flight manual supplement. This information would go along way in answering any questions, take the mystery and assumptions out of what had happened previously for both the next owner and AME installer/maintainer.
Good logs is good value, all around !

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

This information would go along way in answering any questions, take the mystery and assumptions out of what had happened previously for both the next owner and AME installer/maintainer. Good logs is good value, all around !
Exactly! These floats had previously been modified, by persons unknown. The modification was naturally not obvious nor visible without disassembly, and certainly reduced the strength of the float attachments to half what it should have been. A suspicious AME consulted my colleague, who contacted me about it, and when we investigated more, my colleague noticed this defect, based simply on his keen observation, and knowledge of what should have been there, rather than what had been jury rigged there, who knows when.

So, I have approved the modification to make the floats entirely safe and compliant, and the record of work is in the airframe tech log, but it should be independently with the floats too - hence my desire to see a component log filled out for them.

More and more, floats and skis (particularly amphib floats and wheelskis) are being rebuilt and repaired or modified, our industry should be voluntarily adopting component logs for them to document this work!

Return to “Maintenance”