Painting Rivets?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

muskox
Rank 0
Rank 0

Painting Rivets?

Post by muskox »

What's the best product (or method) of keeping a clean paint line over a rivet? Obviously not painting rivets is the best plan but that ship has sailed and I've cursed myself with painting a black pinstripe through a bunch of rivets.
I would normally use blue painter's tape and blue fine-line tape. I prefer the fine-line tape because it can be heated and sealed to the rivet, but have ran out of the good stuff and can't find it in town.
---------- ADS -----------

mmartin1872
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Painting Rivets?

Post by mmartin1872 »

We use orange fine line from FBS. I think Lordco carries it, along with a bunch of the autoparts stores. 1 of the keys is to not 'stretch' the fine line over the rivets, Then heat shrink, and press in around the rivets with your fingernails. If you stretch the fineline over the rivets, when you heatshrink the fineline, it has even more tendency to 'lift' as you are spraying, getting the ugly overspray look.

muskox
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Painting Rivets?

Post by muskox »

mmartin1872 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:38 pm We use orange fine line from FBS. I think Lordco carries it, along with a bunch of the autoparts stores. 1 of the keys is to not 'stretch' the fine line over the rivets, Then heat shrink, and press in around the rivets with your fingernails. If you stretch the fineline over the rivets, when you heatshrink the fineline, it has even more tendency to 'lift' as you are spraying, getting the ugly overspray look.
Thats exactly what I needed- much appreciate, thank you! :-)

Return to “Maintenance”