Federal A3500A info

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Blakey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Federal A3500A info

Post by Blakey »

I am installing a set of Federal A3500A skis on a Cessna 180 and am looking for the weight and moment for the Weight and Balance amendment. Anybody go the info handy?
---------- ADS -----------

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you!
wrenchturner
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wrenchturner »

It should all be in the STC

Blakey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Blakey »

No STC required. A3500As were original equipment on 180s. They're listed on the Type Certificate but I can't find a copy of that either!

J.P.WISER
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by J.P.WISER »

Check the TC web sit all type sheets are listed,
but the wieght and balace for the skis won't be there try the amm if it was original.

HAVIN A DRINK FOR YOU!!

J.P. WISER
CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

Blakey,

I know I'm going to take flak for this, but if you don't have the information, this isn't the place to get it.

First off, the type certificate can be found here:

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_an ... LE/5A6.pdf

Now, when someone says that its approved under the type certificate, it doesn't mean that you'll find the information directly in the type certificate data sheet. If its not directly there however, you need to find it in the other documents like the AMM and IPC.

If you don't even have those, then stop what you're doing and find someone who has the information.

twotter
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twotter »

Well said CID.. How are this ski installation being done without the proper AMM or CMM which should show the appropriate weights and arms.. The AME doing this installation should know this and have access or be able to get access to the info...

Just my opinion..

Blakey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Blakey »

Whoa horsey!!! Settle down there.

Firstly - CID, thanks for the link. I was told that the Type Certificates were all available on the FAA site but I never could find the 180 certificate.

Secondly - Gentlemen, nobody is going to be doing anything they don't know how to do. Changing the gear from wheels to skis is classed as elementary work in CAR 625.85 and so you don't need to be an AME to do it. However, I do have an AME doing the changeover but I would like to understand just exactly what is required to document the changeover and I want to prepare the amendment to the Weight and Balance. For this I require the declared weight of the skis and rigging. The Arm should be the same as that for the wheels as they both act through the same axle position but I would like to confirm this as well.

No doubt my AME has an AMM for the 180 but I do not. Is there an on-line location where I could find such an animal? I do have the Cessna Service Manual but it is of disappointly little assistance.

mikegtzg
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mikegtzg »

The Arm should be the same as that for the wheels as they both act through the same axle position but I would like to confirm this as well.
No that isn't a fact.
It is possible that the CG of the actual skis is the same as the axle mount arm. But that isn't because it's mounted there. For example if you bolted on a 10 lb. weight at the rear of the ski. The arm of the ski would move rearward as the CG (or balance point) of the ski would move rearward.

If you placed a fullcrum below the ski, you would see where the CG or balance point of the ski is. I suspect the arm is less or further forward than the wheels.

Blakey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Blakey »

mikegtzg said:

"It is possible that the CG of the actual skis is the same as the axle mount arm. But that isn't because it's mounted there. For example if you bolted on a 10 **. weight at the rear of the ski. The arm of the ski would move rearward as the CG (or balance point) of the ski would move rearward.

If you placed a fullcrum below the ski, you would see where the CG or balance point of the ski is. I suspect the arm is less or further forward than the wheels."

You sir, are absolutely correct!

I have acquired the relevant data and the arm is in fact different from that of the wheels. As is reasonable to assume, it is not all that different but it is a different value. I had to phone WipAire and talk to the Engineering department as nobody else seems to have the info. Kind of makes me wonder what everyone else is using on their ski-gear Weight and Balance amendment! Anybody else want the information?

Return to “Maintenance”