Anyone ever do interesting contract work overseas?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

HeavyD
Rank 1
Rank 1

Anyone ever do interesting contract work overseas?

Post by HeavyD »

Hey all u AME's, if you have been to some interesting places to work maybe you might like to share any good or bad experiences..I am curious to know where some people end up working and what it is like...thanx all.
---------- ADS -----------

You can take the man out of P.A.- but you can't take P.A. out of the man!
L382Medman
Rank 1
Rank 1

interesting places

Post by L382Medman »

I would not call where I been interesting places been in Saudi, Congo, Kenya, Afganistan, Iran, Jordan. So far best place was Jordan pretty amazing spot considering it's the middle east. However I am back in Afganistan in Kabul to be precise. Nothing interesting here, if I could make the $$ in Canada I would have stayed there however as it is explained on a different thread the money for an AME is just not there. You got to do what you got to do.

coleface
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by coleface »

Hi regarding interesting places

I did several tours to Nigeria, a bit scary at times but met a lot of interesting people. Brits to the most but not all bad

I'm currently back in W. Africa in the land mine capital of the world, what can I say the money is 3 or 4 times what we can make in Canada, nothing changes in the maintenance business in Canada, been doing it close on 25 plus years so have an idea about the cycles and pay scale.
No need to go on about pay for as any forum will repeat the same knowledge over and over, UNDERPAID for the job.

So all you Canadian AME's try overseas, we're well respected and the cash is good.

cheers

HeavyD
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HeavyD »

"The cash is good"...well that is at least some good news. From the sounds of it to make the best coin a person should take some out of country contracts. So what is "good cash?" 60K/yr CAD? 80? 100? Is 80+ unheard of? I know I am asking alot of questions but this forum seems to attract people with the experience to answer the questions...so feel free anyone..opinionate away! :)
Thanx all.

HeavyD
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HeavyD »

P.S. to my previous thread...I have read all the threads in this forum dealing with $$ in Canada, but would like some more info about contract wages. thanx again.

PITA
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PITA »

Heavy D

I've been overseas for most of my aviation career and will attampt to pass on a few pointers.

First of all Canadians are very well regarded as people who get the job done. Well educated, lots of flying, well trained, good work ethinic.
My guess it's the way we approach flying espically in our northern areas, thats not to say the southern operators do not have this motivation.

We also have the advantage that we are not Americans.

Advantages? Money is alright. Forget the Canadian dollar, overseas you deal in US bucks.

The trick is not to pay income tax. Revenue Canada states if you don't pay taxes in Canada you must pay tax somewhere else. So the company you work for has to pay your tax. If not, they (RC) will gladly take it.

So think of it like this.

The overseas company will usually pay for Tax, medical, accomidation and transportation.

So if your offered say 25000USD/year. To make this in Canada you have to take home 37000CDN. To take home 37K in Canada you have to make around 70K to 80 K. before taxes. You still have the accomidation and transportation and medical paid for. So you could sock away all your wages. (if your a hermit.)

They may also throw in a trip back to mommy and daddy once a year.

Don't matter - the trick is the TAX.

Thats the financial althougth very crude. Other wise you will see and experience things you would not in Canada. You will realise how Canada has really bugger all to do with the world as a whole. And you will realise when you get back, what a nation of winners, complainers and all-a-round head in the sand jerks we are.

HeavyD
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HeavyD »

We are well regarded...that is good to know. I am curious about accomodations - what is the deal there? Is it a "camp" like setting or is a hotel room booked for a person? I suppose it would be different depending on where a person was working. Thanks for the responses, people.

Return to “Maintenance”