Becoming an Avionics tech...

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Phantomwray
Rank 0
Rank 0

Becoming an Avionics tech...

Post by Phantomwray »

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to get some peoples' opinion of whether or not it's a good idea to try to get into the Avionics field. I originally wanted to be a pilot, but the sheer difficulty of breaking into that profession turned me away. Is it a little easier to get into Avionics? By that, I mean in the industry as a whole, is there a demand for Avionics techs? Or are there numerous techs waiting for their first job like fresh CPLs wait for their first flying jobs?

I'm not trying to ask for a free ride, I'd just like to know if it's worth my effort to go through yet more school.

There is no question that I think I'd be suited for this field. I'm not saying, 'golly gee, can't be a pilot so maybe I'll try maintenance'. I do have a genuine interest and background for this field, but piloting is what first came to mind (childhood dreams and such).

Thanks...
---------- ADS -----------

lazionic
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Becoming an Avionics tech...

Post by lazionic »

Phantomwray wrote: Is it a little easier to get into Avionics? By that, I mean in the industry as a whole, is there a demand for Avionics techs? Or are there numerous techs waiting for their first job like fresh CPLs wait for their first flying jobs?
Absolutely, it is easier to find a job as an avionics tech rather than a mech. There are many less avionics than mechs. There is going to be an even bigger demand as aircraft manufactuers come out with their new aircraft. Just read up on the new 7E7 to give you an idea on how everything on the aircraft is going electric rather than mechanical.

If you think a professional costs a lot, wait until you see what an amateur will cost you ;)
ozzytheozman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ozzytheozman »

i just graduated from canadore a few years ago. 8 months after i was done school i finally got a job. but it only lasted one year and was laid off. i have been looking for work for about 8-9 months now and nothing. this industry is tighter than a nun. you can only work in canada if you don't have your license. the pay too is not that great considering what kind of crap you have to put up with. i would have to tell you not to get into avionics. this is just not me a lot of my classmates have gone back to school or got into something else because they can't find work. but i guess in the end the choice is yours. good luck with your choice.

stay classy

Horseman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Other Technical Jobs

Post by Horseman »

Ozzy

There are many other professions that you can enter using your Avionics Diploma, if Aviation is not your cup of tea.

Avionics is the only College program in Alberta, that now teaches indept Radio Frequency (RF) communications theory, to the component level.

All of the other Electronic programs at NAIT and SAIT (college) touch only on cellular communication. I don't know about other Provinces, but the skill that you have learned in Avionics are valuable in all jobs that require radio communication support.

For instance, Telus Mobile communication, Atco Electric, the oil patch, and all major police forces such as the RCMP, use fixed/mobile radio (UHF/VHF) communication. All of the radio networks use repeater systems to communicate and send telemetry.

Just a thought if you wanted to try other areas , and use your education without having to retrain. If you don't like the change you can always go back to aviation.

Horseman

bass
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bass »

where do all the avionics guys get hired in this country?

ozzytheozman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ozzytheozman »

where are all the avionics people hired in this counrty? that is a good question and i would love to know. i have no idea, because nobody has been hiring for the last 8-9 months and it doesn't look like they are going to be either. so i guess maybe mcdonalds is hiring avionics tech along with wal-mart but you don't work on aircraft.

keep classy canada

lazionic
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lazionic »

Ozzy they are hiring at AC Jazz in toronto. Try looking there.

If you think a professional costs a lot, wait until you see what an amateur will cost you ;)
Mr. Maintenance
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hiring at Jazz ???

Post by Mr. Maintenance »

I don't think so !

Perhaps more concrete info, such as the name, and phone no. of the one in maintenance, in charge of making decisions on who to hire or fire ( not HR, please ), would be appreciated.

It's common knowledge Jazz is cancelling routes, so it's hard to believe they are hiring in Toronto.

Yoyoma
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Yoyoma »

I don't know how accurate my info is but when I was talking to a friend at CSC, he said that they had just hired Avionics/Com tech. for DND contracts.

Also, if you're that desperate, sign up with the Forces...They're giving bonuses out for people with your qualifications.

Cheers

Image In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield...W. Buffett
lazionic
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Hiring at Jazz ???

Post by lazionic »

Mr. Maintenance wrote:I don't think so !

Perhaps more concrete info, such as the name, and phone no. of the one in maintenance, in charge of making decisions on who to hire or fire ( not HR, please ), would be appreciated.

It's common knowledge Jazz is cancelling routes, so it's hard to believe they are hiring in Toronto.
Sorry, I dont have any numbers for you. Maybe you can take the time and apply or look for their number rather than accuse me of having said that my resources are incorrect. A friend of mine told me this, he is presently working for Jazz. There are many Jazz employees that have left for WJ recently. And If you had any idea about Jazz maintenance you would know that they have been short for a while and have been unable to hire due to a hiring freeze.

Return to “Maintenance”