On Condition?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

LT
Rank 7
Rank 7

On Condition?

Post by LT »

Hello good gentlefolks...

Just curious if you happen to have any information on engines that are On-Condition?

How does one surpass their TBO time and put an engine onto OC, and how long can he continue to fly(privately) On Condition with the engine for? Who determines that it's time to Over Haul and no extra life can be spared to the engine?

Thank you.
---------- ADS -----------

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

I believe that about 100 hrs before the engine reaches TBO - you need to start doing oil anyalasis. You have to send oil samples in to a company to be checked under a microscope. Every so many hours after you need to keep doing this. You basicly run the engine untill it breaks. You will know you need an overhaul when things start going wrong where the fix is to split the crankcase. Once that is done it's cheaper to fix everthing in there than it is to fix one thing.

pikeslayer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pikeslayer »

I don't belive you need to send out for oil analisyse (sp)
There was an AN a few years back that stated the requirements for "on-condition" egine life.

You basically have to set a trend with your engine ie: oil consumption, base line motostats, max RPM, and internal inspection of the crank shaft.

There may have been a couple of revisions to the AN haven't seen one tho.

But once your engine degraded past the base line it was time for overhaul.
the peramiters are stated in the AN

Hope this helps

Pike

Spinner
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Spinner »

Check out this airworthiness notice FYI

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/maint ... 041ed3.htm

Last edited by Spinner on Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Love the guesses guys :).

There is no longer any such thing as on condition for privately registered aircraft.

I ran into an old 150 of mine the other day, it was four hundred hours past tbo when i sold it four years ago and has yet to get an overhaul.

However, oil monitoring is a very good idea whether an engine is past tbo or not.

LT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LT »

Thanks for the answers and the link..

Someone is selling their 172 with an OC engine in it.. Just trying to find out how long it could go before being forced to overhaul her..

So the general consensus is, OC is an antiquated term in the private world, oil testing would be recommend but you could beat the engine 24/7 and until you fall out of the sky it's all good and you can use your own judgement???

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 624 »

Hi LT, Private aircraft engines do not have a specific overhaul period anymore. Commercially registered aircraft need to be put on condition if you choose to do that.
I would be pretty careful buying an aircraft with a high time engine. Mainly because you probably don't know the real history of it.
Good compression won't tell you the whole story. If it has sat for extended periods this can cause internal corrosion. For example if one cam lobe has a bit of corrosion on it, it might not look to bad. But the problem is the corrosion breaks down the very thin surface hardening. which will cause that CAM LOBE to wear off in no time FLAT!!
Then all the metal from that cam lobe goes through the engine and damages other EXPENSIVE internal parts.
My point is to MAKE SURE you know what kind of shape this engine is in.
To be sure it might mean pulling 1 or 2 jugs to check the integrity of the internal parts and a compression check will give you a pretty good idea of how the cylinders are. Don't forget about the mags and the carb.
If it is a N model 172 with a H2AD engine in it, these engines have cam and lifter issues.
If a high time engine has been cared for properly, regular oil changes, clean air filters, etc. you shouldn't have a problem.
AN AME familiar with this type of aircraft can save you a bundle of cash.
Anyway, just a couple of things to think about.

Return to “Maintenance”